News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

"Return" to "unread posts" after posting

Started by founky, February 20, 2018, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

founky

hi there

i would like go land on the "unread" page after a reply or quick reply (after a new post would be ok as well).
what would by a easy solution? i couldn't find a solution by searching for a topic or a smf mod.

it can be a dirty solution ;-)

tank you very much

Kindred

there is no good solution....

the option is either 1- return to topic or 2- return to message index.

Anything else would require a code change - likely in several places - and would not be a good idea, IMO.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

founky

thanks for your quick answer.

if someone know the files i have to edit, it would appreciate it.
it doesnn't have to be a update'able solution.
it can be hardcoded.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Offhand I'm not sure where this would need to be edited, currrently there is an option fof 2 different behaviours upon posting a reply in SMF. Returning to the topic, or returning to the board index (if memory serves).
I would think adding a third option, and definitely not making it default, would be the best approach if you really want this.

Sounds like mod material though.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

I am saying it's not even that easy.... I don't believe we can just point to a file and say change this.

Even if it was that easy, its a bad choice... forcing your users to go to the recent posts?   That's bad UX, there are already enough users who don't like the return to message index and insist that back to the topic should always be the default....  while I don't agree with that, I believe that your desire is the wrong way to go about things
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SeabassG33

Quote from: Kindred on February 21, 2018, 12:19:26 AM
I am saying it's not even that easy.... I don't believe we can just point to a file and say change this.

Even if it was that easy, its a bad choice... forcing your users to go to the recent posts?   That's bad UX, there are already enough users who don't like the return to message index and insist that back to the topic should always be the default....  while I don't agree with that, I believe that your desire is the wrong way to go about things

I agree here. Even if you can do it, doesn't always mean you should.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SeabassG33 on February 21, 2018, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: Kindred on February 21, 2018, 12:19:26 AM

I agree here. Even if you can do it, doesn't always mean you should.

Yup, I agree as well. Personally I prefer returning to the topic, to see my reply.
I do also like having easy access to the unread replies, so I added both of the default unread links to the footer of my forum for logged in users, so that now they are available both at the top and bottom of the view.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: