News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to disable board so no one else can post a topic.

Started by alaska_guy, February 22, 2018, 01:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alaska_guy

I have a forum with a Board called "Rules".  I locked the topic, but I want to also be able to disallow anyone from posting in that board if they are not a moderator.  I tried searching the online manual and couldn't find what I needed.  I assume it has something to do with the "Default" profile set on the board.  But I can't seem to figure out how to set a custom profile to that board.

alaska_guy

Wow, I looked everywhere and sometimes twice.

I was right in front of me..

Boards>Modify Boards>Permission Profile>Read Only

Illori

Quote from: alaska_guy on February 22, 2018, 01:45:30 PM
Boards>Modify Boards>Permission Profile>Read Only

that profile means that only the admin can post, so your moderators will not be able to make topics or reply.

alaska_guy

Thanks,

That's fine for now.

Any idea how to make it so someone can't post in a board unless they have at least 50 posts?

Illori

create a new permissions profile and set it as such, this does mean to enable permissions for post count based groups.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: alaska_guy on February 22, 2018, 01:48:20 PM
Thanks,

That's fine for now.

Any idea how to make it so someone can't post in a board unless they have at least 50 posts?

That will require a custom mod. It can not be done with the core options afaik.

Illori

Quote from: doug_ips on February 22, 2018, 01:53:44 PM
Thanks,

That's fine for now.

yes it can as i answered in the post above yours.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Illori on February 22, 2018, 02:04:14 PM
Quote from: doug_ips on February 22, 2018, 01:53:44 PM
Thanks,

That's fine for now.

yes it can as i answered in the post above yours.

Yes, you are quite right. I missed that part about the new group being based on post count.

alaska_guy

Thanks, so I will have to create a mod so I can add a different group?  IE:  Groupname "Buy/Sell" then enable post count logic to only allow users with 50 posts?  Has this been done before by someone, so I am not re-creating the wheel?

Illori

alaska_guy

Thanks.  I went ahead and created the Buy/Sell group permission.  I will look into how to enable the post count suggestion above.

Kathryn_

I did it with permissions.... I configured each group to be able to view and download but i removed check marks  for topic posting and everything associated... People when they go on do not see the buttons..or anything so the only place they can post is the reply if they are a member...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

In the permissions settings, there are two settings that can make things like these a lot easier:
- Enable the option to deny permissions
- Enable permissions for post count based groups

The first one allows you to make groups that take away permissions, regardless of any other member group the user is in.
The second one allow you to use post count groups to give out rights.

If you have never used these settings, at first they may make the permissions even more difficult to navigate and understand, but when you get familiar with them - they are mighty tools to work with :)

With the post count based permissions, creating a board permission profile where users under a set post count can not do something (post a new topic, reply, what ever you want) should be relatively easy, and not need any modifications.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: