News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Trouble Converting to UTF-8

Started by TheEngineer, February 22, 2018, 03:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEngineer

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to convert to UTF-8 but I keep getting an error. Here is the output in the error log:

http://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=database;activity=convertutf8Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same messageDatabase Error: Column 'question' cannot be part of FULLTEXT index

ALTER TABLE smf_polls
CHANGE COLUMN question question varbinary(255) NOT NULL default '',
CHANGE COLUMN poster_name poster_name varbinary(255) NOT NULL default ''Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home2/delreef/public_html/smf/Sources/ManageMaintenance.php
Line: 666

Could you please advise?

TheEngineer

I should add why I'm doing this, I suppose. We're getting weird characters showing up instead of apostrophe's. Sometimes it comes up as a question mark and other times a string of characters.

Illori

delete the search index you have, convert to UTF-8 and then add the search index back.

TheEngineer

Quote from: Illori on February 22, 2018, 03:24:14 PM
delete the search index you have, convert to UTF-8 and then add the search index back.
Sorry, I don't know how to do that. Can you point me to a reference?

Illori

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Search_(admin)#Search_Method on this page should be an option to delete or remove the index then you can create it again when you are done converting.

TheEngineer

Quote from: Illori on February 22, 2018, 03:29:51 PM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Search_(admin)#Search_Method on this page should be an option to delete or remove the index then you can create it again when you are done converting.
Thank you! It is set to No Index. Although it shows there is a 12MB index file:

Space used to index messages in the database: 12,515 KB

I don't see an option to delete it.

Illori

change to that index menthod and see if then you can delete it.

TheEngineer

Tried that with full index and then deleted the file it created. It still shows the 12MB there. I'm building the custom index now, it's going very slowly. I'll try doing the same with that.

TheEngineer

Phew that took a while! I deleted that file too. I'm still at 12MB. I get a new error now when trying the conversion:

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttp://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=database;activity=convertutf8Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same messageDatabase Error: Duplicate entry '\xC3\x83\xC6\x92\xC3\x82\xC2\xA2\xC3\x83\xC2\xA2\xC3\xA2\xE2\x82' for key 'PRIMARY'

ALTER TABLE smf_log_search_subjects
CHANGE COLUMN word word varbinary(20) NOT NULL default ''Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home2/delreef/public_html/smf/Sources/ManageMaintenance.php
Line: 666

TheEngineer

I tried clearing the cache (didn't think it would help, but who knows). I've also repeated these steps and still no joy. The error is consistently the same though as my previous post.

TheEngineer

Bump. Anyone have any suggestions?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on February 24, 2018, 05:04:12 PM

How did you try to convert to UTF-8?

Remind me tomorrow to write a script that you can run manually and see if it will help.

TheEngineer

Quote from: doug_ips on February 24, 2018, 05:11:46 PM
Quote from: TheEngineer on February 24, 2018, 05:04:12 PM

How did you try to convert to UTF-8?

Remind me tomorrow to write a script that you can run manually and see if it will help.
I tried using the built in tool under database administration. Appreciate the help!

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: TheEngineer on February 22, 2018, 03:45:38 PM
Tried that with full index and then deleted the file it created.

How did you delete the index?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

TheEngineer

There didn't appear to be anything I could delete from that tab, although it showed a 12MB file. I created a full text index and then deleted it from that tab. I did the same for a custom index. It still shows the 12MB. I noticed that when attempting to do the conversion with either the full text or custom index there was red warning text. That's not there if I delete them.

Sir Osis of Liver

Can you pm admin access so I can have a look?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

TheEngineer

Thanks for the help last night Sir Osis. Still working on a solution...

TheEngineer

Thanks Sir Osis for personally helping me get this squared away! The conversion tool never wound up working, but he did it manually.

Thanks!

TheEngineer

Actually that didn't work. I wound up starting over and did the conversion this morning. This is now closed.

Advertisement: