Doubt over jQuery library variable

Started by -Rock Lee-, February 23, 2018, 03:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Rock Lee-

Well I'm finishing implementing everything related to https (everything is working as it should be seems) and I find this little message:

QuoteThe use of getPreventDefault () is obsolete. Use defaultPrevented instead.
jquery.min.js:17:3553

Which comes from https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.min.js Generate me if it is something to take into account or I can ignore it for a while more ... In any case, how should I update it using a more current library? although it generates the idea to me if doing that should modify many things ???

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Bigguy

-Rock Lee-

On my site checking if there is something giving error or similar

Regards!

Bigguy

I tried the link and it gives me 3 errors for that. When I switch to Google CDN I get no errors at all.

-Rock Lee-

Can it be what you interpret as "obsolete" the explorer appears this warning? ... I am with mozilla although I am in doubt, so I asked if it is something to take into account or I can simply pass it.

Regards!

Excuse me if my expression in English is bad

Bigguy

Im not sure if those errors are going to have any effect on your site or not. Lets see what some others have to say. I didn't see any functionality loss from those errors but I still switched it.

-Rock Lee-

That same thought I think it does not affect any functionality. We hope to see what you think about the rest, thank you.

Regards!

Illori

SMF 2.0 does not use jquery by default. you need to find which mod you have installed that uses it and post in that mods support topic.

-Rock Lee-

It does not point to any mod but is in the head of the theme that you used. I'm looking at how to update it to achieve it I will comment on the results...

Regards!

richardwbb

From what I understand of things being deprecated, for example with php it will become a problem, eg. If php 5.x comes up with such a warning, it won't work any longer with php 7. That might become a forceful upgrade sooner or later.

For jQuery, probably Chrome inspector is right but as long as you don't upgrade that specific jQuery file, (if it is a mod or theme requirement, upgrading jQuery won't add functionality), and *that* specific jQuery file Chrome is mentioning will support this deprecated function as long as the file is hosted with code.query.com

Of course for being skilled or having more use for jQuery enabled stuff on your forum, (some modifications require this, but as said, they bring their own version which should contain everything the modification requires). But, when several modifications require their own jQuery versions I solved by dropping the oldest version and everything still worked. That might not always be possible. There is also something like https://github.com/query/jquery-migrate and I ran multiple versions without problem (besides of slower loading) and did not encounter jQuery biting each other. I did not mention security (higher version implies fixes), but it is client side scripting, if there are security related arguments for a higher jQuery version, I totally missed them, because I fail to see that point.from a consumer perspective. To  mods, if a I am necroposting just say so.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

-Rock Lee-

I was researching and in theory has no major problems leave that jQuery although I am running php 5.6 at this time by version 7.x gave me problems the theme. I will also investigate a little more but it is not something that requires so much attention, since it does not generate problems at the moment, I will only keep it seen over my shoulder.

Regards!

Advertisement: