News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Help following clean install of 2.0.15

Started by PenelopeQ, February 25, 2018, 02:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

Sir Osis of Liver did a clean install for me--after I tried and got errors.

I have reinstalled my theme and am working through my mod list, reinstalling and reviewing. I have a few issues I have already discovered and will also have some questions as I go. I will post those I know about now in this first post--just so I can get them listed.

I can PM, but cannot post (replies or start a thread). I got this error:
QuoteField 'topic_note' doesn't have a default value
File: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1816

I also received an error when trying to install the topic and board note mod mentioned in that error:
QuoteBLOB/TEXT column 'board_note' can't have a default value
File: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/Packages/temp/add_settings2.0.php
Line: 73

I then looked up that mod here and it is no longer supported. It is not essential, but I had hoped installing would fix the error. This issue is priority right now since no one can post at the forum.

Next I am going to list the mods in my packages folder.

1.   TopicStarter Mod   1.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Topic & Board Note   1.0.3   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   SMFPacks Popup Pro Mod   1.0.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Register At Post View v.1.1   1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Search Sent PMs   1.4   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   Personal Messages to Membergroups   1.4.3   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Move Old Topics   1.3.8     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Last Active On MemberList   1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Join Reason   1.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   Global Headers Footers   2.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   Default_Membergroup   1.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   Board Notification Mod   1.2.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   Bad Behavior mod   1.5.17   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.   Anti-Spam Links   1.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Alternative Menu With Top Menu Icon & Button Remover   1.4.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   Advanced Topic Prefix Mod   4.0.3   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   Ad Managment   3.1a   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18.   Gender on Memberlist   1.5   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19.   SMFPacks Shoutbox Pro   1.0.9   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   SMFPacks WYSIWYG Editor   2.0.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   SMFPacks Personal Conversations   1.0.3   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   Stop Spammer   2.3.9   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Red: these mods errored when I tried to install. Since one of these is a stop spam mod, any advice on a good replacement would be much appreciated. Other than the topic and board note, these are not yet the priority so I am not listing the specific errors...yet.

Pink: Perhaps no big deal...as you can see, these did not offer an install link. Does this mean they are active? What does it mean? These may have been like this before--there were a couple, but I cannot recall which ones.

#13. Bad Behavior
I have not yet installed Bad Behavior because it warned that I need to set my timezone in .htacess. Seems simple--it gave an example. I searched in cpanel and it showed me where .htaccess is, but when I went there I could not see it. Is it hidden?

#16.   Advanced Topic Prefix Mod
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liversave the topic prefix mod for last if you must have it, it was screwed up and blocking access to your ACP.
What is ACP?
This is a mod I purchased from smfpacks and it is very important to me--it gives me a function I had been dreaming about. I use the topic prefixes to sort threads unto personal stories (storybook icons) versus a few discussion topics and some boards have their own. I did this with basic icons before, but the system did not understand they had meaning other than that they were images. But with this mod I can sort them and view only a certain icon or a few at a time. Just that has been amazing for me--I'd love more advanced features, but this is still great.
I really want to be able to reinstall this mod AND my big concern is for the threads--will the prefixes be restored? As for that, will the topic icons (which match the prefixes) also be able to be restored? I know that I will need to re-upload my custom images, but once that is done, is the basic info still stored in the db? I kept the topic icons (instead of finding a way to get rid of or hide them) in case something happened and I could no longer use the prefix mod...but right now I have neither since the icons are the default.

I think those are the issues on my mind thus far.

Doug Heffernan

Your error is caused by the Topic & Board Note mod. You can try to uninstall it and see if the errors will go away.

pepa

"What is ACP?"

That would be Admin Control Panel.  As doug_lps suggests, try to uninstall the Topic and Board Notes mod, if it uninstalls successfully that error will no longer occur.  Sometimes you can follow the error messages e.g. this one:

"Field 'topic_note' doesn't have a default value
Line: 1816"

You could edit the file Subs-Post.php and remove the field 'topic_note'.  Then try to post again.  You would either be able to post or receive another error messages, you can then edit the file for that error message and so on.  This is what I did to remove problems caused by the Board Color and Icons Mod.  You may also have to drop some DB columns if you get relevant error messages.  However, first thing to try is an uninstall of Topic and Board Notes.

Illori

the error is related to your database. you need to find the tables that have those columns and if you dont plan on using the mods again you can remove the column from the table and the error will go away.
you said you have a clean set of files so the mods should not be installed.

PenelopeQ

Thank you Illori...the topic and board note mod is not installed--I thought I had made that clear in my post since I said the red mods error when I attempted to install them. The hope was that the error would be resolved when the mod was installed, but that did not happen--I did not continue to install any mods that showed an error.
I know that it is in the database--as I have another issue that has not been resolved for an entire year that has a similar message--different mod. I have not looked to see if that is the same since the clean install, but a year ago you guys helped me to try to do a few fixes in the db--like dropping the tables. That particular issue has not been resolved, but it is unrelated.

Since I don't want to make a mistake when messing with the database, could you give me some instructions for removing the necessary tables--or is it as easy as finding it and deleting it?

Doug Heffernan

Did you have that mod installed at any point? Because the error message points to it. Anyways, can you check your boards table in the database and see if it contains the board_note column?

pepa

Quote from: PenelopeQ on February 25, 2018, 02:53:20 AM

I can PM, but cannot post (replies or start a thread). I got this error:
QuoteField 'topic_note' doesn't have a default value
Line: 1816

I also received an error when trying to install the topic and board note mod mentioned in that error:
QuoteBLOB/TEXT column 'board_note' can't have a default value
File: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/Packages/temp/add_settings2.0.php
Line: 73

HI PenelopeQ ... you appear to have at least two errors:

1.  One is the column board_note in your boards table, you need to have a look, perhaps with PhpMyAdmin, find that column and drop it.

2. The second is left over code in your Subs-Post.php file.  This is puzzling if, as you say, you now have a clean install ... so that code shouldn't be in that file.

Regardless, first drop the column from your boards table and see if that resolves your error.  You may need to then have a look at your Subs-Post.php file at line 1816 and delete the field "topic_note".

PenelopeQ

I have found the board_note column. Can I rename it board_note_bak or something so that I am saving it in case it is needed? Or do I need to delete it completely to test if it works?

Regarding the field in subs_post.php, there is no topic_note filed anywhere--not at or near line 1816 or anywhere else. I searched the entire file and then even searched just for the word note and just for the word topic to see if there was something similar...I found nothing.

pepa

Quote from: PenelopeQ on February 25, 2018, 04:26:52 PM
I have found the board_note column. Can I rename it board_note_bak or something so that I am saving it in case it is needed? Or do I need to delete it completely to test if it works?

Regarding the field in subs_post.php, there is no topic_note filed anywhere--not at or near line 1816 or anywhere else. I searched the entire file and then even searched just for the word note and just for the word topic to see if there was something similar...I found nothing.

OK, just being cautious regarding the field in Subs-Post.php, good that it isn't there.

You won't need the board_note column as it was installed by Topic and Board Notes which you say you don't want to install again, you can safely drop it.

PenelopeQ

I dropped the column.

So now what about the missing field? Sure, good it's not there except that the error makes it sound as though it is there and how can I remove the field so I don't get an error if the field is not there.

And you are right...with a clean install that code shouldn't be there.
There must be something somewhere else that perhaps is expecting that field to be in that file??? Something that is still leftover from the Topic and Board Note mod???

As of now I am at a loss regarding what to do since the logical step seemed to be to remove the field from the file.

Illori

if the column is dropped the error should no longer happen. it was happening because no default was set for that column so even though the code did not call it, the database had no idea what to fill in that space. now it does not need to fill it as it is gone.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: PenelopeQ on February 25, 2018, 04:53:34 PM
I dropped the column.

So now what about the missing field? Sure, good it's not there except that the error makes it sound as though it is there and how can I remove the field so I don't get an error if the field is not there.

There must be something somewhere else that perhaps is expecting that field to be in that file??? Something that is still leftover from the Topic and Board Note mod???

As of now I am at a loss regarding what to do since the logical step seemed to be to remove the field from the file.

Indeed, if that field is removed the error should not happen anymore.

Can you check the temp folder inside the packages directory btw, and see if it contains a file named: add_settings2.0.php?

pepa

Quote from: doug_ips on February 25, 2018, 05:19:00 PM
I dropped the column.

Can you check the temp folder inside the packages directory btw, and see if it contains a file named: add_settings2.0.php?

There may also be a column "allow_topic_note" and another ""topic_note" in your board table, it would have been added by the file doug_lps mentions above "add_settings2.0.php".

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: pepa on February 25, 2018, 05:25:21 PM
Quote from: doug_ips on February 25, 2018, 05:19:00 PM
I dropped the column.

There may also be a column "allow_topic_note" and another ""topic_note" in your board table, it would have been added by the file doug_lps mentions above "add_settings2.0.php".

Yes, that is correct. That file adds the custom fields in the database. If the mod is uninstalled, and the custom fields have been removed from the database, it is strange that the error still happens. The only thing that I can think of is that the installer file of that mod has not been deleted and it might be the culprit.

P.s. To make real sure that everything of that mod has been gone, it is worth going through the parser and double check all the files that it has edited are indeed gone.

Kindred

Smf does not typically remove databae columns when removing a mod... 

As for the error, it is due to your MySQL version.   MySQL fixed it in some future version from the one you are using.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PenelopeQ

Sorry, I should have said that I tried to post after dropping the column and got the same error.
Quote from: pepa on February 25, 2018, 05:25:21 PMThere may also be a column "allow_topic_note" and another ""topic_note" in your board table, it would have been added by the file doug_lps mentions above "add_settings2.0.php".
dropped allow_topic_note and did not find topic_note. Tried to post and got the same error.

Quote from: doug_ips on February 25, 2018, 05:19:00 PMCan you check the temp folder inside the packages directory btw, and see if it contains a file named: add_settings2.0.php?
How do I find the temp directory--I just looked in my packages folder and did not see a temp folder.

Quote from: Kindred on February 25, 2018, 06:03:24 PMSmf does not typically remove databae columns when removing a mod... 

As for the error, it is due to your MySQL version.   MySQL fixed it in some future version from the one you are using.

So am I just chasing my tail then? Maybe that is the problem with the issue I had last year that is not resolved--can't add new boards.
Is this something I need to talk to my host about? Or what?

Whew, thanks to all of you staying with me...

Illori

post the error from the error log you are getting. it should be a different error if you removed that column.

PenelopeQ

The error log in cpanel?
Maybe I'm at the wrong place...it is short--extremely short given that we are having a big issue and lots of people should be getting the error.

[Sun Feb 25 17:55:54.840066 2018] [:error] [pid 426278] [client 197.221.253.26:24419] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php
[Sun Feb 25 17:49:54.908516 2018] [:error] [pid 420493] [client 37.228.231.153:26401] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php
[Sun Feb 25 17:40:40.283189 2018] [:error] [pid 412646] [client 190.163.124.157:59416] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php
[Sun Feb 25 17:27:04.466963 2018] [:error] [pid 400208] [client 188.206.106.176:3491] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php

pepa

Quote from: Illori on February 25, 2018, 07:52:20 PM
post the error from the error log you are getting. it should be a different error if you removed that column.

PenelopeQ, post the current error message, although you did say it's the same, but please just to confirm.

The temp folder that doug_lps refers to would be in Packages/temp but you'd have to ftp there.  I doubt that'd be the problem though.

Perhaps post your host's version of MySQL so Kindred can confirm that it is indeed the issue you are encountering.  I have not heard of this issue myself.

pepa

Quote from: PenelopeQ on February 25, 2018, 09:38:50 PM
The error log in cpanel?
Maybe I'm at the wrong place...it is short--extremely short given that we are having a big issue and lots of people should be getting the error.

[Sun Feb 25 17:55:54.840066 2018] [:error] [pid 426278] [client 197.221.253.26:24419] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php
[Sun Feb 25 17:49:54.908516 2018] [:error] [pid 420493] [client 37.228.231.153:26401] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php
[Sun Feb 25 17:40:40.283189 2018] [:error] [pid 412646] [client 190.163.124.157:59416] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php
[Sun Feb 25 17:27:04.466963 2018] [:error] [pid 400208] [client 188.206.106.176:3491] File does not exist: /home/rollerco/public_html/mlcforum/wp-login.php

The original error which you say hasn't changed and which you described as:

"I can PM, but cannot post (replies or start a thread). I got this error:"

This will be in your Admin/Maintenance/Logs/Error Log

Advertisement: