Slow response typing post content

Started by TheEngineer, February 25, 2018, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEngineer

I have several users reporting that their screen does not update in real time when typing a message in a post. It appears to only occur on people using a computer (vice a mobile device). They describe it as though the text entry stutters as they type.

That doesn't sound like a forum issue to me, but I was hoping one of the experts here might have seen it before. I've not installed any new mods or changed any files. I have been attempting to convert to UTF -8, but without success. I have a separate thread here about that.

Biology Forums

This happened to me back when I used to post on my BlackBerry running BB10. It hasn't happened in years using Android.

TheEngineer

Gwenwyfar

Would be good to get a few pointers, if it's only a few users, then it's a) not something that happens all the time and/or b) it only affects some users

- Are they using a specific browser?
- Do they have the problem only in your forum?
- Is your forum otherwise slow/stuttering for them?
- Do you have any editor mods?
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

TheEngineer

I've asked them what browser they are using and what operating system. One user reported the issue with Chrome. I can't recreate it with Chrome on my PC

Here are all of the installed packages:
1.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0
2.   EzPortal   3.5.1a
3.   SMF Likes Plus   1.5 (not installed)
4.   SMF 2.0.14 Update   1.0
5.   SMF 2.0.12 Update   1.0
6.   Ad Managment   3.2 
7.   Emoji One   0.2 
8.   Social Login
9.   Simple Audio Video Embedder   3.5.1     
10.   Anti-spam by CleanTalk   1.91 
11.   SMF 2.0.15 Update   1.0 
12.   SMF 2.0.15 Update   1.0 
13.   Separate Unread PMs   1.7
14.   Menu Editor Lite
15.   Say Thanks   1.3.3 
16.   Separate Unread PMs   1.6   
17.   SMF 2.0.13 Update   1.0     
18.   httpBL   2.5.1     
19.   Embed Facebook BBCode   2.22 
21.   Automatic Attachment Rotation   3.8
22.   EzPortal   3.1_Draft4

Gwenwyfar

It may be worth looking into EmojiOne to see if it's not adding too much weight on the editor.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

TheEngineer

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on February 25, 2018, 04:31:10 PM
It may be worth looking into EmojiOne to see if it's not adding too much weight on the editor.
Thanks. Honestly, I don't know what it does. There are a lot of packages that were installed prior to my involvement with managing the forum. It isn't clear to me we are even using it....

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on February 25, 2018, 05:01:37 PM
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on February 25, 2018, 04:31:10 PM
Thanks. Honestly, I don't know what it does. There are a lot of packages that were installed prior to my involvement with managing the forum. It isn't clear to me we are even using it....

You can disable that mod and see if it will help. However, it looks like the problem might be isolated to those users. It can be related to their browsers.

TheEngineer

After uninstalling it the issue seems to have gone away for at least one user. Doesn't look like anyone used it so it isn't a loss. Thanks for the pointer!

TheEngineer

I guess I spoke too soon. This just happened to me on my laptop using Chrome. It takes multiple seconds for text that I've typed to come up on the screen.

Kindred

are you using the basic editor or the WYSIWYG?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheEngineer

WYSIWYG, I believe. It is the same as what comes up here. 

I just played with it a little. I think it has something to do with the emojis still. If I have all of our emojis shown, most are animated, my GPU jumps up to 35% usage and I can't type. If only a few are on the screen the problem stops.

Kindred

yup, that sounds like the issue....

I'd suggest trying with the WYSIWYG turned off, too...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheEngineer

I'll give turning off the WYSIWYG a shot. Thanks. It seems intermittent for me, so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

TheEngineer

It's better, but it did just happen again with WYSIWYG turned off. It wasn't as pronounced, but there was a definite lag. It isn't consistent either. It has happened twice out of about 10 tries now.

TheEngineer

I just had another user report the problem to me. I've just turned off all of the extra emojis hoping that will help.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I've seen this recently myself, and to me it was a completely new problem - while I've not touched the smileys or post.template in a long time.
Something has changed in Chrome I assume.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

TheEngineer

It does seem to be Chrome centric for our group. I wonder if this has something to do with the new fixes for the processor exploits they're all patching.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just recently I've heard more feedback on this myself, and the fact that it's increasing (I'm assuming as people update their browsers) also seems to point at a reason outside SMF. Would be nice to hear what is causing it though, because it is a PITA - and removing all extra elements like smilies from the post.template is not really something I'd like to do.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: