News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Updated Registration Agreement II

Started by SoftAid, February 27, 2018, 06:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoftAid

Hi there,

We are a happy and thankfull user of an SMF-forum since 2001.

I changed our forum rules, and would love a Mod that will force users to accept the terms of the new agreement. The agreement of registered members must be set back to zero for one time, and the (new) agreement must be accepted before having back acces to the forum.  I found Daniel15 's mod 727, witch will work for me, I think ?(Except this mod set all agreements to 1 or not? )

I can hear you say: "Then install that Mod" already. But I'm afraid that when something goes wrong, and afraid I can't enter the site myself anymore, and can't restore to a previous.

Info:
   -  We run a Dutch SMF 2.0.13 with modifications installed:
1.   Page Number In Title   1.0 
2.   EmailValidator   1.0 
3.   [HTML] Permission Mod   1.01 
4.   NoFollow All Links   1.2.1 
5.   Minimum Characters for Search   1.2.1 
6.   Simple .htaccess Cache Mod   2.6 
7.   Pretty URLs   1.1.2 
8.   Simple Youtube Video Embedder/BBC   1.1 
9.   Page Number In Title - Dutch   1.0 
10.   TinyPortal   1.107 
11.   Topic Solved   1.1.1 
12.   Description Mod   1.0 
13.   reCAPTCHA for SMF   0.9.9 
14.   EmailConfirm   1.0 
15.   Combell Footermod   1.1 
16.   Google Analytics Code   1.4 
17.   GuestReplyMod   1.0 
18.   Combell Headermod   1.0 
19.   Responsive Curve   1.0 Beta 5 
20.   Remove WAP link   1.0 
21.   SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update   1.0 
22.   Sitemap   2.2.0 
23.   SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update   1.0 
24.   SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update   1.0 
25.   SMF 2.0.11 Update   1.0 
26.   SMF 2.0.12 Update   1.0 
27.   SMF 2.0.13 Update   1.0 
28.   SMF 2.0.5 Update   1.0 
29.   SMF 2.0.7 Update   1.0 
30.   SMF 2.0.8 Update   1.0 

Questions:

- I found the 727 Zip file.
- When I look inside the code of InstallScript.php I see that SSI.php is required. I do not found that file in the Themes nor in the Sources dir.
- What install-file do I have to use? The install.xml or the install.php?
- There is not yet a UpdateMemberData array in the SMF_Members of the database.
- It looks to me that on log-in attempt there will be shown a message.  This would be the AcceptAgreement.Template.php, correct?
- This will be in English. Can I change the text to Dutch in the install.php? On what line comes the text? Can I change ['agree'] (on line 27) into the Dutch ['Ik ga akkoord']?
- Do I have to put the site in Maintenance-mode during install ?

So, in general, do I have to prepare things in advance, or can I just run the install.php (or install.xml ?)

I would like to take precautions such as a backup, but I do not know what exactly must be backed up. I can ask my Web Host to make a general backup....

All suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you,

:) SoftAid :)             

www.oplossing.be
SMF forum 2.0.17
Dutch free computer help forum
Always welcome on Oplossing.be :-)

dougiefresh

Generally, you need to backup the forum files.  Most modifications can be undone just by restoring the backed up forum files.  Regarding the settings, a backup of affected tables is highly suggested, but not strictly required.  In this case, you probably need a backup of the {db_prefix}members table, since it contains the members information before the changes.  Or you could just delete the new column that the mod adds AFTER restoring your forum files, which retains any new members you got since you installed that mod.....  Your choice.

As a side note, please don't link to the download itself.  Link to the mod page instead, as some people aren't/can't see what you're linking to and will click on the link and force a download of that mod.  On this forum (and probably others), it's considered quite rude to do so.

SoftAid

Hello dougiefresh,

Thank you for your quick response. Sorry about putting a link, I was not aware of this "rule". On our site there are more links than words  ;)

About your reaction, I will make a backup of the forum files, and have the Host make a backup of the Database. And I will do the install in night-time, in Maintenance-mode.

So far-so good.

I'm still stuck by some questions:

- Is it normal that there is no "agreement_accepted" array in my 'MEMBERS' -table ?
- When I look inside the code of InstallScript.php I see that SSI.php is required. I do not found that file in the Themes nor in the Sources dir. I do not see this file?
- In the AcceptAgreement.Template.php, where can I change the text to Dutch ? On what line comes the text?
- Can I change ['agree'] (on line 27 of the AcceptAgreement.php) into Dutch language = ['Ik ga akkoord']?

Thank you for helping out.

www.oplossing.be
SMF forum 2.0.17

dougiefresh

Quote from: SoftAid on February 27, 2018, 06:57:37 AM
- What install-file do I have to use? The install.xml or the install.php?
You need to use the Package Manager to install the mod.  It's found in the admin area!

Quote from: SoftAid on February 27, 2018, 10:34:34 AM
- Is it normal that there is no "agreement_accepted" array in my 'MEMBERS' -table ?
Yeah, that column isn't there by default, so the mod has to add it in order to be able to use it.

- When I look inside the code of InstallScript.php I see that SSI.php is required. I do not found that file in the Themes nor in the Sources dir. I do not see this file?
SSI.php should be in the same folder as the Sources and Themes folders.

- In the AcceptAgreement.Template.php, where can I change the text to Dutch ? On what line comes the text?
The language file modifications take place in install.xml under Modifications.english.php.  Translate the strings and place under Modifications.dutch.php (I think)....  Those language files should under Themes/default/languages.

You can also submit the language translation to the mod thread.  Maybe the author will include it, maybe not (especially if it is an old mod that hasn't been updated in a while)....

- Can I change ['agree'] (on line 27 of the AcceptAgreement.php) into Dutch language = ['Ik ga akkoord']?
Language files are fairly safe to alter, but it is generally a VERY BAD IDEA to alter source and/or template files without any idea what it does....  In addition, altering source files without any idea what it does will probably result in errors, plus an inability to diagnose the issue YOU caused.

In this case, you are asking about changing the name of an array element.  Unless you change it throughout the mod, this is one of those VERY BAD IDEA!!!

Kindred

SSI.php is in the forum root -- and that is where you run the install file, if you are doing a manual installation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SoftAid

Hallo Kindred,
Quote from: Kindred on February 27, 2018, 11:53:43 AM
SSI.php is in the forum root -- and that is where you run the install file, if you are doing a manual installation.
Thank for clearing up this to me. As I could figure out from dougiefresh response,  it is best to use the package manager...?
Quote from: dougiefresh on February 27, 2018, 11:16:37 AM
You need to use the Package Manager to install the mod.  It's found in the admin area!
Copy
Yeah, that column isn't there by default, so the mod has to add it in order to be able to use it.
Copy
SSI.php should be in the same folder as the Sources and Themes folders.
Yep, found it! I was looking inside the Sources- and Themes-folders, not outside.

The language file modifications take place in install.xml under Modifications.english.php.  Translate the strings and place under Modifications.dutch.php (I think)....  Those language files should under Themes/default/languages.
I assumed that I could put in a text in Dutch, bringing my message. Or, ... I bring the message in my "agreement.txt file?

Greetings,

www.oplossing.be
SMF forum 2.0.17

SoftAid

Allow me to "bump" this one for some last questions.

Quote from: SoftAid on February 27, 2018, 12:28:23 PM
Do I put the message in my "agreement.txt file?

Greetings,

www.oplossing.be
SMF forum 2.0.17

Advertisement: