News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

odd 5 minute delay and other issues

Started by yoyostar, February 27, 2018, 03:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoyostar

I migrated from vbulletin which had been running for 12 years with few issues,
The first thing I noticed about SMF is that on the main page most of the time it shows I am not logged in at the top I must go to another page in order to show that I am logged in.
it will also show that I am logged in as the person who was on the board last on the main page, but not other pages.

Most of the time when I post or make a change in the admin area it will take around 5 minutes for the changes to show up, but sometimes they will show up in a reasonable amount of time, under 15 seconds.

I had 600k posts and cut it down to 200k and I cut my members down to 17k from around 30k but this didn't really seem to make any difference.

I uploaded status.php but it looks like that only works for SMF version 1 and I have version 2.0.15

I uploaded status.php in the sticky post it says I am suppose to include a link to it so I am following those instructions:

hundredbling.net/smf/phpinfo.php -  it says I can't post external links.

and the forum main page is here:

hundredbling.net/smf/

I am using PHP version 7.2

any help in pointing me to where I should start would really be appreciated because the 5 minute delay makes it look like things are not working to the users.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That would sound like a caching issue, most probably a caching service run by your host.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

yoyostar

what would cause it to never delay vbulletin but delay SMF most of the time?

is there something that would turn it on and off?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Not sure really, that does sound odd - but still it's the best idea I have at the moment. Nothing in SMF itself should cause anything like that.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

vbgamer45

What is your cache level under Admin -> Server Settings -> Caching

I don't believe we have had much testing for SMF 2.0.x on 7.2 either.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

yoyostar

The cache level was set to level 1,
I changed it to no caching and it appeared to make some improvement in the percentage of actions that are delayed around 5 minutes.

I can set the version of PHP I am using is there a version that might be more compatible than 7.2?

thanks,

vbgamer45

I run my sites on php 7.1 You can also try disabling the php opcode cache and see if that makes a difference.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

yoyostar

I changed php to version 7.1 and made sure that php opcode cache was disabled and I am still getting the same 5 min delay.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you try to turn off the SMF caching, and empty your cache, and after that it still behaves like that - it's bound to be something in your server config I think. Who are you hosted with?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: