News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Timeframe for mod approvals?

Started by Doug Heffernan, February 28, 2018, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Heffernan

I have submited a couple of mods here and I saw that they are in the approval queue. Now, I do not mind that, because from my searching here I read that the reason for that is that mods must be checked as to make sure that they are safe and secure to use. I understand that completely.

However, I came across this post where it is said that mod approval it will likely take 3 to 6 months.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=543574.msg3861582#msg3861582

I do not want to sound impatient or rude, but that is quite a lot of time. The reason/excuse given that  mod approvals are done by volunteers is just not valid imho. It is a huge put off/discouragement, at least for me, but for other modders too I think.

I agree completely with vbgamer45 's post that the approval process needs to end if it takes this long.

Or at least make a list of trusted developers whose work does not need to be checked. That would speed up the process quite a lot.

vbgamer45

It depends on the workload and how complex the mod. Basically the bigger it is the more time it will take to approve. So I suggest starting small and grow over time.
http://www.generalcartalk.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=vb3sobouf01jf2hd3e4q6776f0;wwwRedirect  - Also got a 403 error on your site check out this topic to fix https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Mod_security_-_Having_problems_with_mod_security
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Doug Heffernan

My mods are small as I am still trying to find my way around the Smf coding structure.

Many thanks for reporting that problem with my site and providing the fix :)

Suki

The 3 to 6 months is largely an over exaggerated time frame.  That case only applies with really big mods. I recall only 2 or 3 cases in 8 years ;)

Whatever timeframe there is, its always a two way thing, theres an equal amount of time between the one reviewing the mod and the mod author taking their time to change/improve their mods based on the suggestions.

The review process involves more than reviewing the code, so a list of trusted mod authors will not really decrease mod approving timeframe that much. For example, we need to take into consideration license, if your mod uses third party software, copyrighted images, code from somebody else, SMF compatibility, min requirements, if your mod needs some special stuff to work on we need to make sure it is at least functional under those requirements, etc. etc.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Suki on March 01, 2018, 11:13:04 AM
The 3 to 6 months is largely an over exaggerated time frame.  That case only applies with really big mods. I recall only 2 or 3 cases in 8 years ;)

Whatever timeframe there is, its always a two way thing, theres an equal amount of time between the one reviewing the mod and the mod author taking their time to change/improve their mods based on the suggestions.

The review process involves more than reviewing the code, so a list of trusted mod authors will not really decrease mod approving timeframe that much. For example, we need to take into consideration license, if your mod uses third party software, copyrighted images, code from somebody else, SMF compatibility, min requirements, if your mod needs some special stuff to work on we need to make sure it is at least functional under those requirements, etc. etc.

Many thanks for your reply Suki. :) It explains a lot. I am glad to see that the time I frame I quoted is not standard. I was under the impression that it was standard for all mods.

Advertisement: