News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Personal Messaging To Field blank?

Started by pepa, March 04, 2018, 07:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepa

I have some users who are telling me that when they click on the poster personal message icon they land on the personal message screen but the to field is empty.  The user name does appear immediately under the field though, it works if you type a message and send it.  Problem though is that some users are confused when they see the empty To field and assume that personal messaging isn't working .. so they don't type a message and send.  Is this the default functioning or should the to field be populated by clicking the personal message icon?  I have attached a screen shot.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is how it works, by design - you can test it in here too and it will work exactly the same.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 04, 2018, 07:24:52 AM
That is how it works, by design - you can test it in here too and it will work exactly the same.

if you click the icon in the mini profile for any user, it takes you to the PM page with the users username filled in. please test it again ;)

i think the op has some conflicting mods that may be causing this issue.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Illori on March 04, 2018, 07:41:42 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 04, 2018, 07:24:52 AM

if you click the icon in the mini profile for any user, it takes you to the PM page with the users username filled in. please test it again ;)

i think the op has some conflicting mods that may be causing this issue.
No, actually I tested this both here and on my own forum before replying. :P

Edited to add:
Just to be sure, I just went through IE11, FF56 and Chrome 64 and it never failed to do that.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

ah, i see what is meant. i guess not much we can do about that.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yeah, if the nick is recognized and the form is completely loaded, it will empty the form and move the nick to the list of recipients.
On a slower connection, or if the form isn't already in your browser's memory - it can show the name filled in the form at first, but it should do the same in the end still.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pepa

Illori and Aleski  ... as usual you are both fast and meticulous with your responses, as indeed are many others in this wonderful community ... thank you both!

and yes, it did look as though SMF is designed to do that by default.  No problem, I'll have to make a post and explain this to the few who seem to get confused : )

I'll mark his topic as solved.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

butch2k

It was a point that bothered me as well so i modded the system to use tags (based on Select2).

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's a neat way to go, I think that would actually be better than the current one and cause less confusion.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pepa

Quote from: butch2k on March 05, 2018, 04:38:17 AM
It was a point that bothered me as well so i modded the system to use tags (based on Select2).
Hi butch
Can you post the code please ... sorry, incredibly time poor lately.

GigaWatt

Quote from: pepa on March 05, 2018, 05:44:44 PM
Can you post the code please ... sorry, incredibly time poor lately.

Beat me to it :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GigaWatt

Still no answer ???. I was actually looking forward to implementing this little trick ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

butch2k

It's not a little trick it requires modifying several template files, adding some javascript files and scripts, and modifying some backend stuff as well. I did not package it when making the changes and i have no time to do a mod based on it right now.

GigaWatt

Mhm... sorry, I thought the solution was simple ;).

Advertisement: