Include link to posts in the summary daily/weekly email notifications

Started by ramins, February 09, 2012, 03:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramins

In the profile notifications page, each user can set the "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me: " to Instantly, Daily or Weekly.

The summary email notification that is currently received by the user has the subject of the new posts or replies to existing ones.
However, if the notification is instant ie "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me:" is set to Instantly,
the email notification contains a link to the post.
But if it is set to daily or weekly summary, there are no link to the posts themselves and therefore, not much use.

The fix should make the email notification to have a hyper-link to each post and maybe even the first 5 lines of the post.

emanuele

I can see advantages and disadvantages in this.
What do you think about a link to the profile area with the list of notifications?
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=notification

I'm suggesting this because for example in a forum with a (very) high activity, an email containing links and/or text of each post/topic created in a day (or in a week) could be very long and as useless as one without any...but that's just my opinion of course. ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

I suspect this will be of greater importance in 2.1 to implement, but we'll review it a bit nearer the time.

Oldiesmann

Having a link to and/or summary of each post seems logical to me.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Arantor

Until you do it on a site as busy as this one in which case it becomes somewhat less useful.

Oldiesmann

It can't be any less useful than not having any links at all.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Arantor

Well, it's something I'm looking at with the rewrite... I figured it would be useful to allow users to pick the type of notification they get for topics and boards - so that for things of less interest, they only get alerts or even nothing (so it becomes a way of tracking topics and so on for consumption at leisure) which should reduce the amount of stuff that goes to digests. Which means then we could at least put links in. (Summaries likely will make the emails huge if it's a busy site)

ramins

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your thoughts.
Do you know if this has been looked at in 2.1?
Thanks
Ramin

Advertisement: