News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

One Ip One Account

Started by Doug Heffernan, March 04, 2018, 04:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Heffernan

Link to Mod

This mod will prevent registrations of more than one account from the same ip. There are no settings. Simply install it and you are good to go.

Warning: If users who use a mobile network, or a proxy server that uses the exact same ip address will be affected by this.

digger

SaltedWeb

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

-Rock Lee-

There is not a same function of SMF that does not allow to register to the same account in a same network? or is this totally different?

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Kindred

I will note that, While this may have some use in certain instances, it is a VERY dangerous mod for many people...   if you are us8jg cloudflare or your host is using a proxy, you could lock out all new users.

This could also have unintended effects on users who use mobile networks.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: SaltedWeb on March 04, 2018, 05:15:13 PM
Can this exclude Admin ?

No, users can not be exluded but ips can.

Quote from: Kindred on March 04, 2018, 07:35:27 PM
I will note that, While this may have some use in certain instances, it is a VERY dangerous mod for many people...   if you are us8jg cloudflare or your host is using a proxy, you could lock out all new users.

This could also have unintended effects on users who use mobile networks.

Afaik cloudfare uses dynamic ip addresses. The same goes for most mobile networks as well. I see where you are coming from, but I do not think that calling this mod VERY dangerous is a fair assessment btw.

Quote from: Rock Lee on March 04, 2018, 07:06:22 PM
There is not a same function of SMF that does not allow to register to the same account in a same network? or is this totally different?

Regards!

This is different Rock Lee.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: doug_ips on March 05, 2018, 05:50:25 AM
Can this exclude Admin ?

That is a concern as IPs do vary, depending on ISP.  Example Charter has a rotation or they used to. Id see it working of there was a user name attached to the IP blocked. So that IP and User could be excluded.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: SaltedWeb on March 05, 2018, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: doug_ips on March 05, 2018, 05:50:25 AM
Can this exclude Admin ?

That is a concern as IPs do vary, depending on ISP.  Example Charter has a rotation or they used to. Id see it working of there was a user name attached to the IP blocked. So that IP and User could be excluded.

The mod checks for ips when users register. At that point the user is still a guest. That is why users can not be excluded, but only ips can.

br360

On one of my forums, I would sometimes get 3 or 4 members a week registering from the exact same mobile network, thus all the exact same IP address. These are all different people from around the country that would just happen to have the same phone company. Would this mod be basically blocking the other three that registered assuming that it was a duplicate account as the first registration?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: br360 on March 05, 2018, 05:41:53 PM
On one of my forums, I would sometimes get 3 or 4 members a week registering from the exact same mobile network, thus all the exact same IP address. These are all different people from around the country that would just happen to have the same phone company. Would this mod be basically blocking the other three that registered assuming that it was a duplicate account as the first registration?

In this case yes, the other 3 will not be able to register.

Shambles

Quote from: br360
... I would sometimes get 3 or 4 members a week registering from the exact same mobile network, thus all the exact same IP address... Would this mod be basically blocking the other three that registered assuming that it was a duplicate account as the first registration?

Quote from: doug_ips

That's probably why people might think this is a dangerous modification for any forum. Ever.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Shambles on March 06, 2018, 02:46:24 AM
Quote from: br360
... I would sometimes get 3 or 4 members a week registering from the exact same mobile network, thus all the exact same IP address... Would this mod be basically blocking the other three that registered assuming that it was a duplicate account as the first registration?

Quote from: doug_ips

That's probably why people might think this is a dangerous modification for any forum. Ever.

Dangerous is a bit exagerated in this case imo. Anyways, if you do not have an use for it, do not install it. Problem solved.

Kindred

Doug,

please note that we are not denigrating your mod or your intention...
We are providing a warning to admins who might not understand the potential impact of this mod.
To such admins, "dangerous" IS an accurate description, since it may, potentially prevent ANYONE from registering after the first registration.
(for example, If the site has Cloudflare or some other server-side proxy, all users may be logged as coming from the same IP address)

If the admin understands these risks and still wishes to install the mod, then they can go right ahead.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Kindred on March 06, 2018, 10:45:49 AM
Doug,

please note that we are not denigrating your mod or your intention...
We are providing a warning to admins who might not understand the potential impact of this mod.
To such admins, "dangerous" IS an accurate description, since it may, potentially prevent ANYONE from registering after the first registration.
(for example, If the site has Cloudflare or some other server-side proxy, all users may be logged as coming from the same IP address)

If the admin understands these risks and still wishes to install the mod, then they can go right ahead.

I undeerstand Kindred. I placed a warning notice about this at the mod download section so users can be aware that it will affect all those who connect to their forums by mobile or proxy networks that use the exact same ip address.

Advertisement: