News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Restrict posting to specific boards

Started by nakedscientist, March 11, 2018, 06:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakedscientist

Dear all

Can anyone please advise me how to set up a system so that mods can "jail" certain contributors, either permanently or temporarily, into certain boards?

Specifically, we are looking for a way to restrict the POSTING rights of users to certain boards, but permit them to keep READING the content of all of the other boards to which they would normally have access.

We think this will be helpful because we have some contributors who have pet theories that then pollute the mainstream parts of the forum. Since it's a science forum, it's important that fact and fiction are kept apart while also keeping the more adventurously minded contributors on side so that they can be helped...

I'd be grateful for advice regarding how to set up a config like this please.

Many thanks

Chris

GigaWatt

I kind of banged my head with this one :D, I wanted to restrict uploading attachments to a certain board. Basically, the process should be more or less, the same.

Admin --> Members --> Permissions --> Board Permissions

Create a new profile that will restrict members from posting.

Admin --> Forum --> Boards --> Modify Boards

Click on the board you'd like to restrict members from posting, select the permission profile that you've created, click on Modify ;).

The process may differ and you may have to go back and forth the two admin menus a few times, but it's doable ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

nakedscientist

Thank you; that's very helpful. I think I had got half way there but without the extra step of adding the board permission.

For your solution, does this mean that you have to give moderators the privilege to assign users to user groups in order for this to work?

Considering the case, say, of a person who becomes a nuisance and the mods want to jail them into a certain board - would they need to assign the user into that new user group, or ask an admin to do it?

Illori

if the user is a moderator of the group they will be able to add users to the group from the moderation center, does not need an admin to add the user to the group.

GigaWatt

Quote from: nakedscientist on March 11, 2018, 06:41:04 AM
For your solution, does this mean that you have to give moderators the privilege to assign users to user groups in order for this to work?

No... well, on my forum I don't have user groups, I just have the regular ones (newbie, senior, etc.), so I just applied the permission profile for all members (I think this doesn't apply for admins or moderators ???, I haven't checked for both, I've only checked for admins).

In your case, just follow Illori's advice ;). Give the moderators permissions to change users in different groups, define the profile for that particular group, apply it to a particular board and that should do it ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Group moderators would be set in Admin -> Members -> Membergroups -> Edit membergroups
Modify the group you want to give specific persons the ability to add / remove members to / from,
and make the group private or requestable, and finally define moderators for the group.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: