Re: Problems with SMF since Lunarpages upgraded our server

Started by rlbrenizer, March 05, 2018, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlbrenizer

I've searched the forum for an answer to an issue we are experiencing on our forum, and haven't really found the answer to our problem.

Since Lunarpages upgraded our server, many of our members are receiving the following error message when they attempt to post:  "The message body was left blank."

I've performed some extensive testing and believe it's related to contracted words (using an apostrophe) at the beginning of a sentence.  I can post anything as long as I don't begin a sentence with a contracted word.

Could it be that when Lunarpages set up the new server they imported some files incorrectly or maybe didn't import certain files at all?  I'm wondering if this is related to the UTF-8 database in some way.  I wanted to ask this question here first, prior to contacting Lunarpages.  Any light you can shed on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

drewactual

almost certainly has to do with apache mod_security.  they have it set up incorrectly and need to fix it for you. 

ask them to install this in your htaccess or in your user settings, and remind them you're a forum that relies on user input.. also inform them SMF does a pretty good job of blocking script injects:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
  SecFilterEngine Off
  SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

rlbrenizer

Thank you so much for your reply, Drew.  I'll do exactly as you've suggested.  :)

rlbrenizer

I tried your suggestion, Drew, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue.  Maybe there's some other way remedy this error message we're seeing.  The usage of contracted words are still prompting the error message, "The message body was left empty."

Illori

then you should ask your host if they have mod_security enabled and if they can disable it for you. most hosts that use it dont allow it to be disabled by the users.

drewactual

yeah, Illori is dead right (as usual)... mod_security operates most often above the virtualhost and is set up at the server level most often... it can be further defined inside the specific virtualhost but if the hosting company has it setup for 'their' best practice, it's not something you can adjust at your level.  they're going to hafta do it. 

rlbrenizer

Thank you Illori and Drew for your replies and your help.  I did some additional research prior to reading your replies, and your information corroborates my research.  :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

So, please do let us know if this issue is solved or do you still require assistance? :)

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: