What to chose: VPS Traditional or VPS on a cloud?

Started by Portugal, March 08, 2018, 10:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portugal

Hi people,

I want to migrate myu forum to an VPS, well, im seeing whats the best option, and in fact im a bit confused on this. I must migrate to a VPS traditional or to a VPS on a cloud?

Thanks in advance
Portugal

青山 素子

Technically, all VPS are "on a cloud" since by definition you're paying for a "server" that is basically a virtual machine. Since so much "cloud" stuff is just virtual machines, some companies will try to make their offerings sound fancy by throwing in the fancy terms.

That said, some providers have better configurations than others. The more traditional setups have the VPS locked into a single server, and if the underlying physical machine fails then all the VPS customers on that system are affected. Some newer technologies allow the provider to migrate the VPSes off to other physical machines so there is much less downtime for the customers. Generally, these setups will be a bit more expensive as there is more work required by the provider to set up for those features.

The best advice I can give is to look for a provider that offers the features you want and that doesn't oversell/overcommit resources by a large amount. You'll get better performance and be much happier that way. They also probably won't be the cheapest options, though.

Also, make sure that you really need a VPS. If you're just having problems with resources or slowness on your forum, you might do better with a higher-end shared hosting provider that won't oversell their resources. It wouldn't be as expensive as a decent VPS solution, and you then wouldn't be responsible for all the server admin and maintenance that comes with a VPS.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Portugal

Thanks for that crearly explanation. In fact i use shared hosting since the biggining, but now im getting more traffic (6000 to 7000 visitors/day) for that i want to migrete to a VPS and make somo improvments like https and else!

Thanks for your big help!

Regards
Portugal

Quote from: 青山 素子 on March 09, 2018, 01:47:02 PM
Technically, all VPS are "on a cloud" since by definition you're paying for a "server" that is basically a virtual machine. Since so much "cloud" stuff is just virtual machines, some companies will try to make their offerings sound fancy by throwing in the fancy terms.

That said, some providers have better configurations than others. The more traditional setups have the VPS locked into a single server, and if the underlying physical machine fails then all the VPS customers on that system are affected. Some newer technologies allow the provider to migrate the VPSes off to other physical machines so there is much less downtime for the customers. Generally, these setups will be a bit more expensive as there is more work required by the provider to set up for those features.

The best advice I can give is to look for a provider that offers the features you want and that doesn't oversell/overcommit resources by a large amount. You'll get better performance and be much happier that way. They also probably won't be the cheapest options, though.

Also, make sure that you really need a VPS. If you're just having problems with resources or slowness on your forum, you might do better with a higher-end shared hosting provider that won't oversell their resources. It wouldn't be as expensive as a decent VPS solution, and you then wouldn't be responsible for all the server admin and maintenance that comes with a VPS.

Advertisement: