News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Issues with uploads, upgrading

Started by fatchocobomom, March 09, 2018, 10:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatchocobomom

Hey guys. Please bare with me here...I'm new to SMF and my coding is very very limited. I have my own tiny little community for writers. My host had smf as an installed option so I decided to try it. It installed smf2.0.1 and I've tried to upgrade to 2.0.2. It just won't upgrade. My host showed me how to take down my mod_security temporarily and they had a look at my files and all the permissions were correct. I've run repair_settings...nothing seems to work.

At the same time, nothing will upload. Again, the host took a look and they said everything is right from their perspective so they aren't sure what's going on. Paths are correct, permissions correct. I'm not even sure where to look anymore to try and figure this out. Help?

GigaWatt

Have you tried to install the latest (2.0.15) version? It's available here. You can upload the zipped archive in your webspace (via it's file manager or FTP/SFTP, your choice, just make sure you set the transfer method to binary, not ASCII), use a small unzipping script (I think it's called unzipper, just copy the unzipper.php file in your webspace in the same place where you put the archive that contains SMF 2.0.15), link the domain to that directory, type in the doman /unzipper.php (example, mydomainname.com/unzipper.php), the script will auto detect the archive and unzip it in the same directory ;). Afterwards, the install process is pretty much the same :).

For the record, if your database was SMF 2.0.x compatible, I found that it's better to upload the database first, do the install afterwards an link the database during the install. You still might have to run repair_settings.php after the install (for the smileys directory and whatnot), but, in general, it should work out of the box :).

I had a similar problem, but if I did the install like you did (install SMF, let it create a database, unlink the empty database, link my database). I even tried to let it install an empty database, drop all tables and import the tables from my database... it didn't work out as planned, I still had some minor problems. I found that the best solution is to just link your database with SMF 2.0.x during the install ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

fatchocobomom

I did, and it would not install. I kept getting errors. This was before I knew how to do the mod_security stuff though. I'm just afraid of breaking my site (again...I've deleted the whole thing like 4 times and only miraculously recovered it all somehow with back ups....)

Let me provide the info it says in the stickied post so you have more info before I try that.

A link to your forum- hxxp:fatchocobomom.com/scratchings [nonactive]

A link to your status.php - hxxp:fatchocobomom.com/scratchings/phpinfo.php [nonactive]

Is this a dedicated server or shared host- I share this with my wordpress, but that's not very active.

The Number of posts your forum has- 37...I've only put it up last weekend, and have been working on it the past week.

The Average number of users you have online during peak time and over what time period that is over, e.g 400 users over 15 mins- right now, only 3, and I don't imagine we'll have more than 10-20 total users over time. Like I said, small group of friends using it to post writing and stuff.

A list of mods which you have installed- advanced news, copyright

Do you still have performance issues if you use the default theme? Yes, I still can't upgrade or upload.

Sorry, I'm not even sure this was the right place to post. I am pretty sure it's a server setting I'm missing or something though!

Kindred

1- we do not recommend using those "autoinstall" options, as we have no idea what the host may have changed in the product/setup

2- install 2.0.15 directly, following the install instructions in our wiki/manual.

3- Get your host to turn off mod_security....  If they think that mod_security was causing issues with upgrading, then that means that there will likely be lots of other issues down the road, with SMF, because the host has misconfigured the mod_security settings
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: