Migrating Forum to another domain

Started by pepa, March 11, 2018, 11:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepa

Haven't done this before, so somewhat cautious.  I presume the main issue will be with URL's and I correct that by running repair-settings.php ... is that correct?

Also, more specifically, I have a folder one level up from the forum, the folder contains lots of files linked to from a post in the forum.  Will repair setting change the existing URL path in that post to the correct one, or do I need to modify the post and change them myself?

GigaWatt

Quote from: pepa on March 11, 2018, 11:59:49 PM
Haven't done this before, so somewhat cautious.  I presume the main issue will be with URL's and I correct that by running repair-settings.php ... is that correct?

Yep :). Just make sure that the suggested values are correct. The rapair_settings.php doesn't always detect the new values correctly, so you may have to input the new values manually in some places (not what the script suggests).

Quote from: pepa on March 11, 2018, 11:59:49 PM
Also, more specifically, I have a folder one level up from the forum, the folder contains lots of files linked to from a post in the forum.  Will repair setting change the existing URL path in that post to the correct one, or do I need to modify the post and change them myself?

If the post contains your previous URL (previousdomain.com/somedir), yes, you'd have to change the URL as well (currentdomain.com/somedir)
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jakes_t

The biggest challenge I faced when doing this was exporting the database and importing it again on the new host. You can do it from phpmyadmin or from cpanel normally, I had issues with the import not doing all the tables. I ended up using phpmyadmin but will opt for the cpanel method next time round.

Gary

If you need to import a large database or phMyAdmin keeps timing out then a tool exists called BigDump that'll be able to import it as it staggers the process.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

pepa

Thanks for all your advice everyone, a really helpful community : ).

Gazmanafc ... my forum is only in it's very early stages, so not a lot in the database, but will keep your suggestion in mind for future purposes.  The migration is due to occur in approx 3 weeks, I'll post here and let you know how it all went and what I had to do.  Meanwhile I'll mark this topic as solved.

Advertisement: