php version supported and a few other issues

Started by peterkroman, March 13, 2018, 06:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterkroman

Hi,

I have not been using my SMF implementation for some time. Now I need to "wake it to live" again.

The version I have implemented is 2.014, but I can't log in. When I try to log in I just get a white screen.

The php version my hosting partner are running is 7.0.28.

So -
Question 1: Does the SMF version I run support php ver. 7.0.28 ?
Question 2: How do I upgrade to a SMF version that does support that php version, when I am not able to log in?

Hope you can help - thanks in advance.

Regards Peter

drewactual

14 supports 7.0.... i think 13 had some issues with it. 

i had some issues with php7.1, but i don't think it was the core that was causing issues but a theme or a plugin, so.... for the moment i'm sticking with 7.0 as it is a bit faster than 5.6.   these conditions will vary, in short, depending on the plugins and themes you're using more than the core of SMF if you're running at least 2.0.14...

i wager your login issue has little to do with the version of php but more to do with the files.  you may want to consider fresh 2.0.14 files and then upgrade to 2.0.15, abandoning all the themes and plugins until you can reinstall them one by one in hope to find your conflict(s).

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: peterkroman on March 13, 2018, 06:31:51 AM
Hi,

I have not been using my SMF implementation for some time. Now I need to "wake it to live" again.

The version I have implemented is 2.014, but I can't log in. When I try to log in I just get a white screen.
A white screen is usually a PHP error, please see your server's error log and let us know if you can find a matching error in there
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_the_white_screen_of_death_means

The php version my hosting partner are running is 7.0.28.

So -
Question 1: Does the SMF version I run support php ver. 7.0.28 ?
Yes, SMF should work with 7.0 - Some mods might not however, 5.6 is usually a pretty "safe choice".

Question 2: How do I upgrade to a SMF version that does support that php version, when I am not able to log in?
This will get you up to date, since there have been no database changes - but this will also remove any custom code from the files:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Hope you can help - thanks in advance.

Regards Peter
Hope this helped.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

peterkroman

Thanks to both,

I have uploaded a fresh set of files. Still no possibillity to login.
Then I downloaded the 2.0.15 upgrade package and uploadede that. I ran the upgrade.php, which I could do with my admin user account and password, but I still can't log in. A little improvement har occured though :) Now I don't get a white screen, bit I get this message in stead, no matter which user I try to log in with.

peterkroman

Thansk Illori,

But that line is allready there. In the Display.template.php line 758. Is it somewhere else I should add it?
In the index.template.php and the Boardindex.template.php there are no forms. In the org2_index.template.php I have tried to add the line in line 271. Still no login.

Illori

peterkroman

Thanks,

I have chosen to create a brand new instance of SMF in stead of trying to repair on the "old" one :)

I have one question regarding this. Is it possible to move my members form the old version (to which I can't log in) and to the new one which is working beautifully?

Best regards
Peter

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

before doing that, i would recommend trying https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files on the old install to see if that resolves the issue.

peterkroman

Thanks,

I can not just make a csv of the members table in tho old database, and upload it to the new one, to get my old members "on-board" again?

Illori

we really dont recommend doing that as there are other linked parts in the database.

drewactual

Quote from: peterkroman on March 16, 2018, 10:43:03 AM
Thanks,

I can not just make a csv of the members table in tho old database, and upload it to the new one, to get my old members "on-board" again?

yeah, i tried that once... and will second Illori's comments that it is not a good idea... it's in fact a rotten one. 

if you're bound and determined to run with the 'new' install, just dump the database with the data and upload it to the new one. 

but... i wager your issue with the 'old' is simple... for instance, you said you corrected the login in display, but did you correct it in index.template?  there are several login's floating about- for instance i had a heckuva time before i realized the SSI had a login i used that needed adjusting... or, you can side step all of than and install the login fix mod.

peterkroman

I am all sure that I will continue with the new instance of SMF. It is working beautifully  :-*

*drewactual - you say
Quotejust dump the database with the data and upload it to the new one. 

Do you mean that I just make a SQL dump of the entire "old" database, and afterwards uploads it to the new SMF database?

Will this take care of alle potential settings problems and just move the data from a to b ??

Kindred

it depends....   did you change the paths or URLs between the two installations?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

drewactual

ouch, @kindred- yeah, i was assuming they're using the same URL and paths... otherwise, it'll be a mess...

@peterkroman:  IF IF IF the URL and paths are the same, yes- you can dump the data (make a copy) from the loaded DB and populate the new DB with that data, and not miss a beat- but your paths have to be the SAME... I don't even know if repair settings is clever enough to straighten that out otherwise- one of the elders here will have to answer that for us...

peterkroman

You are hitting the head of the nail :)

It is other URLS - and a quite new installation.

But I have got it all working now.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement: