News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

registration agreement doesn't show up

Started by brynn, March 13, 2018, 08:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I've been contacted by a hopeful new member, who was having trouble registering.  And I needed to log out, and pretend to start to register, so that I could see exactly what they were describing.  Their problem had to do with the verification image.  But I discovered a different problem. 

When I click the Register link, which normally displays the Registration Agreement, with the button at the bottom to accept, I only see the accept button.  The reg agreement isn't there.

I've checked the Admin panel > Registration > Reg Agreement, and the box "Show and require agreement letter when registering." is checked.  And I also checked Settings, and everything there seems to be in order there.

I see that there is a file ....Sources/Register.php, which I would guess might contain the resonsible code.  But I don't remember needing to edit it in any recent upgrades.

Note, this is happening on this forum:  https://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php  My other forum displays the reg agreement as expected.

Where else can I look for the source of this problem?  Attached is a screenshot of the missing agreement.  I have approx 40 mods.  Do you need a list?

Thanks for any comments  :D

GigaWatt

Is agreement.txt located in the root of the forum?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

It's called in Register.template.php, right at the top.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

brynn

Quote from: GigaWatt on March 13, 2018, 09:41:02 PM
Is agreement.txt located in the root of the forum?

Yes.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 14, 2018, 12:54:16 PM
It's called in Register.template.php, right at the top.

Where is that supposed to be?  In the theme directory?  It's not there!  Oh ok, I found in the default theme directory.  It's attached.  I don't know what a "call" is supposed to look like.

Thanks for your help  :)

Sir Osis of Liver

You have a mod installed (this one) that allows users to select agreement language, it's broken.

- R. Waters

brynn

Interesting....  It seems to be working ok in my other forum.  Or if it's not working ok, at least the reg agreement is still showing.

How do you confirm that that it's broken?  I mean, how can I find out if it's broken in the other forum.

I know the 2 forums use different portal mods, and have a few other small differences.  So maybe it's not broken in the other forum?

Also, should I post to that mod's thread that it's broken?  And what evidence should I give, besides just that the reg agreement doesn't show up?

Thanks for your detective work!

Sir Osis of Liver

Unfortunately, that's one of margarett's mods, he's been gone a while and no one's supporting it.  Your Register.template.php appears to be correct, problem may be elsewhere.  Mod also edits Register.php and Login.english.php.  Suggest you try uninstall/reinstall mod.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Tinkering with this, have confirmed the glitch is in Register.php.  If reinstall doesn't fix it, attach your Register.php, I'll look at it tonight.

- R. Waters

brynn

Sorry for the delay.

This is interesting.  When I uninstalled the MultiLanguage Reg Agreement, the reg agreement does not return.  It's still missing.

I did not reinstall it yet, because while it uninstalled without any editing of files needed, when I try to reinstall, it gives me a failed test, and an edit to register.template.php is needed.  So since I'm not so good at that.  And since this mod is not vital for this forum, I can do without it, at least until I can get the reg agreement back.  Might never replace, since it's not supported.

Not unless you think I should reinstall it, just to find out if it fixes the problem.

register.php is attached.  I don't have any evidence I've ever edited it, like for an upgrade.  That doesn't mean I haven't, but probably not.  But someone else could have, before I was on my own.

Sir Osis of Liver

The Register.php you attached does not have the mod installed, so reg agreement is not displayed with Register.template.php you posted earlier, which does contain mod code and works correctly with Register.php that does have mod installed.  You have several mods installed in both files, I'm not seeing anything that should bork the agreement mod, it makes just one edit in each file.  Mod installs fine in your Register.php, and works with your Register.template.php.  You may be getting an error when reinstalling mod because it's already installed in Register.template.php (I tried it, that's what happens).  If you've been installing/unistalling/reinstalling mod, and/or juggling files trying to fix it, package manager may be as confused as I am. :P 

I've removed the mod code from your Register.template.php (attached).  Assuming you haven't made any other changes since you posted it, and agreement mod is currently uninstalled, you should see the agreement, and mod should install without error.

- R. Waters

brynn

QuoteIf you've been installing/unistalling/reinstalling mod, and/or juggling files trying to fix it, package manager may be as confused as I am. :P 

No, I have not been doing that.  I only uninstalled the Multi-Language mod.  (I started to re-install it, per your suggestion, but when I saw that uninstalling it had not restored the agreement, I decided to back out of it and wait for advice.)

I wonder why the mod did not get uninstalled everywhere?  It's possible I was sleepy when I did it, and maybe I missed something....  I'm just not sure.

Ok, I'll install the file you gave me.

Thank you very much!  I really appreciated it.  Be right back.

brynn

Ta-Daaahhh!!

Yes, that fixed it.  Thank you so very much!!

For this forum, I think I will leave that Multi-Language mod not installed.  It's not a very active forum, and since the mod is not supported, that makes the most sense.

Thanks again SOL! 

Advertisement: