CSS Weirdness: 1 iPad, 2 forums, same code, different results

Started by GL700Wing, March 14, 2018, 06:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GL700Wing

I manage two SMF 2.0.15 forums I've implemented exactly the same CSS 'media' class codes (at the end of the relevant index.css files) on both and made the same changes to the MessageIndex.template.php and Recent.template.php files to use the 'media' class codes to hide the post/message icons and the replies/views column for smaller resolutions but despite this the two forums display differently on my iPad.

When I use my iPad in landscape mode on the first forum the post/message icons and the replies/views column are visible and in portrait mode they are hidden - this is the behaviour I expect.

However, when I use my iPad in landscape mode on the second forum the post/message icons and the replies/views column are also hidden - this is not the behaviour I expect.

Can anyone offer any insight into what may be causing this issue?

I've attached screen shots taken with my iPad of how 'Unread Topics' display on each forum in both portrait and landscape mode.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Gwenwyfar

What code gets applied where is decided on the width you define in your queries. No weirdness there. If you're looking to make it look in a specific way in a specific device you're going to have a hard time.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

GL700Wing

I just worked out the reason for the difference in iPad display between the two forums - for the second forum I needed at add the 'viewport' meta tag to the index.template.php file as follows:

Find:
<title>', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '</title>';

Add Before:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

The second forum is now displaying on my iPad as I expect.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

Gwenwyfar

Viewport should be there always if you're working with adaptive css.

GL700Wing

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on March 14, 2018, 06:42:15 PM
Viewport should be there always if you're working with adaptive css.
Thanks - I'm new to CSS and still learning!

Slava
Ukraini!

Wheelwright

Why exactly is that, Gwenwyfar? I'm just curious. I'm also new to css.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Wheelwright on March 28, 2018, 07:13:07 AM
Why exactly is that, Gwenwyfar? I'm just curious. I'm also new to css.
It changes the default zoom/scale used when a page is loaded and tells it to use the device width. You can read about it in detail here. There are other properties for the viewport tag too, but they aren't as useful.

When you don't set a standard for these two, you have things like landscape having a different scale than portrait, or the device simply loading a weird scale altogether.

Advertisement: