News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Beta 3 VS beta 4

Started by novill, March 14, 2018, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

I believe that it should be added back...   This removal actually annoys me as well (and yes, I know it can be easily changed with a single line in CSS - but I should not have to change core files for this, IMO - this is appropriate fr a setting)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

Don't look at me, I also wanted to use it and it wasn't there anymore ::) I don't know why it was removed, would need to check the history.

(You can blame me for being lazy to add it back though :P)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

i believe it was removed to help make the theme responsive.

Kindred

I disagree with the removal and disagree with the need to remove it to make the theme responsive -- because I have half a dozen themes that are responsive and use a % width and half a dozen others than use a remarkably wide width at high screen resolutions.
Слaва
Украинi

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Illori on March 15, 2018, 09:29:44 AM
It doesn't make any difference, you can have both. It is a max-width, not width. And when things start to break the setting will simply be ignored (~900px, theme and mod authors that add a sidebar will need to ignore it at a larger size)

Illori

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on March 15, 2018, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: Illori on March 15, 2018, 09:29:44 AM
It doesn't make any difference, you can have both.

i cant at this time find the PR related to it, but i believe it was related to making the theme responsive or it was thought the feature was no longer needed since it is responsive.

Gwenwyfar

Here's the issue: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/2858

The theme being responsive doesn't change things for the desktop view. So at the end this is about if we want the setting or not, and having the setting is just a matter of convenience and making things easier.

Kindred

it is also about removing functionality that has existed since v1.
It's not always wrong to remove functionality/settings... especially if they are not used - but it should always be carefully considered -- and I do not feel that it was carefully considered or warranted to remove it in this case
Слaва
Украинi

GigaWatt

Agree with Kindred on this. You should be able to do these sorts of things from the admin menu, not in your cPanel.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Jailer

I'm with Kindred on this as well. The max width really messes with the on page content with simple portal and a max width theme. Yes it can be changed via CSS but an option in the admin panel would make this much easier to change and would be greatly appreciated.

An example of when I have run into this in the past.

Gwenwyfar

It's already going to get re-added. And regardless, it's good to have in mind some people use ultra-wide monitors (or just very large ones), they can do without content stretching across 2500px+ wide ;)

And yes, 720px is very narrow by any standards, if that's what you had to deal with. 1200px is larger than most sites that have any limits.

Advertisement: