News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

403 errors cant access forum without vpn

Started by sam casey, March 18, 2018, 11:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam casey

hi guys im in need of a little advice again . i have done some reading on this subject online and also ive read smf posts , but they seem to be quite old posts .

so i changed my isp (internet service provider) this week . i now have a new router and new isp . i now cant access any of the 3 sites i am an admin on . just to be clear here , my friend has 3 forums on the same host , and i am an admin on all 3 . however now i am getting a 403 error when trying to access all 3 sites .

i can access the site via a vpn , i have a paid vpn (hotspot shield)  . i was using uk on the vpn , but today i cant access the sites using uk , i had to change to usa .

i have done some checking . firstly i temporarily switched off firewall on my laptop and on my router , this didnt do any good . i then checked all ban triggers on the main forum , my ip is not listed , nor is my email address or username . i checked my current true ip for the hostname and it simply is the same as my ip address . so there is nothing in the ban triggers that should be blocking me .

there are quite a few ips and ip ranges blocked via the host , ive been through about 40 pages containing 50 ips each so far , and so far i cant see my ip or a range that contains my ip . of course i have more ips to go so i will check them all as long as it takes .

i just checked the error logs and there is an error id red that displays my ip address and says i am denied , here is the error minus my ip address

[Sun Mar 18 09:20:00 2018] [error] [client ip address removed ] client denied by server configuration: /home1/boxkings/public_html/index.php, referer: https://www.satbox.info/index.php?action=forum
[Sun Mar 18 09:20:00 2018] [error] [client ip address removed ] File does not exist: /home1/boxkings/public_html/403.shtml, referer: https://www.satbox.info/index.php?action=forum

can anyone help or advise me on this please ? thanks .

Bigguy

This would lead me to believe the server firewall has blocked you:

client denied by server configuration

sam casey

hi thanks yes i am being denied access by the host . any idea how to resolve this ? .

Bigguy

White list your ip on the server through the firewall. I would think that would do it.

sam casey

hi thanks , i know my way around the host to a degree but im not as experienced as you guys sorry . can you give me instructions on how to whitelist my ip . thanks

sam casey

ive tried this , i white listed my ip and class c ip but im still getting 403 errors .

Bigguy

Not really. I'm not that experienced either. I use WHM on my server. All I do is login as root to WHM go down to the bottom find the firewall, click on it. Look for whitelist I think it is and enter my ip. I'm not sure what type of set up you have so I can't really instruct you. As I said I am not that experienced. Some one here will know a lot more than me about this.

Bigguy

Ok, well the only other thing I can suggest is to flush your DNS cache on your computer and see if that helps.

https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-reset-the-dns-resolver-cache-using-ipconfig

Illori

if that does not help ask your host to look into the messages and see what they can do.

sam casey

Bigguy

Then as Illori has said ask your host to see if they can resolve this for you.

Shambles

Rebooting your router - doesn't that give you a fresh IP?

sam casey

ive been on to my host , they tell me they are not blocking my ip . they told me to try to connect using a different internet provider , but isnt that what im doing when i use a vpn ? , i told them i can access the forum with a vpn . i can see the host cpanel without any need for a vpn .

they say my isp may be blocking me ?

Bigguy

It could be your isp for sure. You may have to call them. I think restarting the router in clears cache on the router. You ip stays the same I think.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Shambles on March 18, 2018, 01:01:38 PM
Rebooting your router - doesn't that give you a fresh IP?

Not always. Depends on the ISP and type of hardware interface (optic, DSL, cable, etc.).

A MAC change on the router might trigger an IP change. Try it ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

sam casey

ok thanks how do do i change the mac address ?

GigaWatt

Let's first establish if it can be done with the hardware you've got ;).

1) What's the type of your connection (the physical layer). Is it optical, PTP (plain twisted pair, telephone wires) or cable?

2) Do you have a modem and a router, or do you have one of those modem/router all-in-one thingys?

3) What is the brand and model of your modem and the brand and model of your router?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

sam casey

hi i have a technicolor tg588v v2  its the router my isp gave me a few days back . its pretty cheap and crappy to be fair . its an all on in one . im not sure abut the connection type , my current isp uses my old companies land line to deliver my broadband . its supposed to be fiber optic but im not sure about that .

sam casey

cant talk to my isp (internet service provider ) till tuesday as its the weekend and also a holliday weekend .

GigaWatt

Yep, you have one of those crappy POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) / PTP AiO thingys :S. And the connection type is probably DSL (ADSL or VDSL, definitely not fiber optic).

Restarting the modem/router a couple of times might get you a new IP, but you'd have to check your IP each time the router restarts and if you're lucky and someone else who is also connected to your local ISPs server, disconnected while you were connecting/disconnecting, the server could hand you his IP... although the chances are slim since DSL uses user/pass verification for it's subscribers and once you get verified under a certain user/pass and the server leases an IP, chances are you're stuck with it for a very long time :S. That's why I prefer cable. In most cases you can change your IP just by choosing a different MAC address for the router (they usually lend only modems, AiO modem/router is more popular with DSL ISPs).

Also, in the case of the Technicolor TG588V V2, there is no way to change the MAC on the modem part of the device. Changing the MAC address on the users end, usually forces the server to change the IP because the server thinks that a user has changed the modem/router, so they need a different/new set of connection parameters... not that they really do, in most cases users just change their MAC addresses to force an IP change, but the server has no way of knowing this, so it just assigns a new set of parameters, which in turn also means a new IP.

There is one more thing you could try. Ask a neighbor to share their Wi-Fi :).

Advertisement: