News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

403 errors cant access forum without vpn

Started by sam casey, March 18, 2018, 11:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Do you really have more than 2000 IP addresses/ranges blocked? :o

If it's spammers you're blocking, you really need to solve it with better anti-spam, not by blocking IP addresses.
See this page: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Also, not sure how many ISPs like people changing the MAC addresses of their ISP-provided routers. You shouldn't want to solve this by getting yourself a different IP, you'll only block the next person who gets your old IP from your site.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Dav999 on March 18, 2018, 08:22:04 PM

From what I understood, the host is the one blocking him ???... or did I misunderstand?

Also, not sure how many ISPs like people changing the MAC addresses of their ISP-provided routers.

Yeah, they don't like that :). But they also don't like me calling their 24/7 tech support at 4 AM :D.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Dav999

Quote from: GigaWatt on March 18, 2018, 08:36:19 PM

From what I understood, the host is the one blocking him ???... or did I misunderstand?

Well, yes and no, to me it sounds like an IP blocking list in the control panel for the website, especially given this bit in the OP:

Quote from: sam casey on March 18, 2018, 11:24:40 AM
there are quite a few ips and ip ranges blocked via the host , ive been through about 40 pages containing 50 ips each so far , and so far i cant see my ip or a range that contains my ip . of course i have more ips to go so i will check them all as long as it takes .

sam casey

ive personally spoke to the hosting service and given then my ip address and they have said that i my ip is not blocked at their end . i also contacted a friend who has the same internet service provider as me  , my friend is not and never was a member of my friends forums . i asked him to check for me if he could access my friends forums , he also got a 403 error .

Bigguy

Illori

could be that your hostname is banned/blocked and not your ip address, you would need to check with your host on this.

sam casey

i have a lot more ips etc to check on the host so ill go through them all when i get time . ill talk to my isp tomorrow and see what light they can throw on it . ill get back to you with what ever information i get , thanks guys

Dav999

Again, I want to stress that 2000 plus "a lot more" IP addresses/ranges blocked on the host is madness, and is asking for this type of thing to happen. You'd be better off with good anti-spam, and unblocking literally all those IP addresses.

a10

Quote from: Dav999 on March 19, 2018, 03:17:07 PM
Again, I want to stress that 2000 plus "a lot more" IP addresses/ranges blocked on the host is madness, and is asking for this type of thing to happen. You'd be better off with good anti-spam, and unblocking literally all those IP addresses.

Agree, did try the mass blocking route = lot's of trouble, lot's of wasted time. Spammers \ bots kept coming with new ip's etc all the time ...the only practical result was annoying real visitors \ members who were met with 'unexplainable' 403's :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

IP bans are rarely if ever worth the effort, apart from known bad bots perhaps.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: