News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Show a board is available but can't see inside

Started by wtfwtf, March 18, 2018, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtfwtf

is it possible to show that a baord is available but not let people see what is inside unless they have permission

Pipke

"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Kindred

Incidentally, many of us consider this a remarkably bad idea. In cases of sites that do this, I leave and never come back.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

skb

Quote from: Pipke on March 18, 2018, 07:31:54 PM
ill give you a cake, you may watch it but... not eat it. ;)

Happens with me all the time. I'm diabetic.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on March 18, 2018, 09:33:05 PM
Incidentally, many of us consider this a remarkably bad idea. In cases of sites that do this, I leave and never come back.

Same here. If you're going to show me a board title then I'd like to see what's inside before signing up.
DO NOT pm me for support!

wtfwtf

well it's for special membergroup, just so that the others know these guys have their own place

wtfwtf

found a way around it

moved the subforum to a subforum of the subforum
made the parent subforum read only.

but still would be great to just show the cake

Kindred

Again... the mod provided allows you to do that, if you insist on doing so.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: wtfwtf on March 19, 2018, 01:07:31 PM
well it's for special membergroup, just so that the others know these guys have their own place

And IMO, if someone deserves to know, they will... some day ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Pipke on March 18, 2018, 07:31:54 PM
View/Enter Board Permissions
This would do exactly what the OP is asking for, and without a mod it's not really possible to do any better than the OP has already done, so I'm marking this topic solved.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: