News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

board specific bans

Started by wtfwtf, March 20, 2018, 11:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtfwtf

this question is a long shot
but is there a way to ban users from specific board ?

Kindred

yes. Put them in a membergroup that is forbidden access to that board.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wtfwtf

Quote from: Kindred on March 20, 2018, 11:54:05 AM
i want to have something on a member to member basis,
for example a mod of a board can ban the members no following rules

Illori

that does not exist by default, you would need a mod. i dont know if one exists.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Still, membergroups would be the solution.
You could use this to make it easier https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3311
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: wtfwtf on March 21, 2018, 06:02:54 AM
Quote from: Kindred on March 20, 2018, 11:54:05 AM
i want to have something on a member to member basis,
for example a mod of a board can ban the members no following rules

That would be an easy mod to code. You can put in a request at the request board and hopefully someone will pick it up and code it for you.

Kindred

but, why bother with a mod, when it is doable in seconds with the standard features?

SMF is NEVER designed about individual user access -- it's entire security system and access system is designed around the membergroups.

So... create a membergroup (e.g. No Access to Board 1)
make it a hidden group, assignable by Admin only.
set the group to have no access to Board 1.
assign member(s) to that group as a secondary membergroup (not the primary)

ta da. done
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on March 21, 2018, 12:22:13 PM
but, why bother with a mod, when it is doable in seconds with the standard features?

SMF is NEVER designed about individual user access -- it's entire security system and access system is designed around the membergroups.

ta da. done

SMF 2.0 by default has no way to deny access to a board, so as long as one group grants access to the board the user will see it. so the above will sadly not work.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

wtfwtf

ta da. done

thought of that, but i have 223 board ...

Illori

as i said above, that does not work anyway.

you would need a mod to do what you want.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: wtfwtf on March 21, 2018, 05:55:14 PM

ta da. done

thought of that, but i have 223 board ...

Have a look at my topic here:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559468.new#new

I can develop such a mod for you.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 21, 2018, 07:12:25 AM
Still, membergroups would be the solution.
You could use this to make it easier https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3311
Using this mod, you could just create groups to deny access to certain boards, and use them like Kindred described.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Except, as Illori pointed out....  in 2.0.x, there is not way to set a membergroup to deny for a board.
If any membergroup that the user is in has access, the user will have access.

It actually can't be done without a mod
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on March 25, 2018, 07:42:01 AM
It actually can't be done without a mod

did you look at the mod linked? it does exactly what the op wants.

Kindred

Whoops...     totally missed the link.   Too early, not enough coffee
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: