I want to make Profile pages No-Index for my forum

Started by bukharifaran, March 21, 2018, 06:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bukharifaran

Hi,

I have the SMF installed on AMPS.edu.pk/forum, I want to make the profile pages of all members "no-index". Kindly guide me how can I make the profile pages no-index so that if Google doesn't index these pages.

Thanks.
My Forum: Mobile Fun | My Blog: Mobile Fun Blog

Kindred

why not just make them unavailable to guests?  Then google won't index them because it won't see them
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bukharifaran

Quote from: Kindred on March 21, 2018, 01:18:22 PM
why not just make them unavailable to guests?  Then google won't index them because it won't see them

Well, a good solution. But only if there is no other solution for this. I would prefer if there is any other solution that guests may see the profile page but google doesn't index it. So kindly if anyone knows how to do this... Please let me know.
My Forum: Mobile Fun | My Blog: Mobile Fun Blog

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Google does not like noindex directives, and may penalize use of them. It shouldn't be too difficult to add the tags, but note that A) Not all bots may honor them. B) What you don't want indexed, is better hidden.

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

you have to change code...

the problem is that the profile page is accessible from a dozen locations.

he main menu
each post by the user
the recent users list
the recent posts list
the who's online list
the members list
probably a bunch of others that I can't come up with right now

You could try adding a command for noindex on action=profile to your robots.txt - but that's only going to affect good bots.

Also, realize, any profile pages which are already indexed will still be searchable for a long time before they expire.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: