General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

Started by zappaDPJ, March 22, 2018, 02:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

In two months from now the new GDPR becomes enforceable law within the European Union (EU) with some implications for those who are outside of the EU.

With the exception of IPS it appears no other forum platform or add-on creator has gone to any lengths to help forum owners comply with the law. This makes me wonder what individual owners are doing to ensure their forums are ready for 25th May when it becomes enforceable.

Personally I've found simply interpreting the regulations in relation to running a forum to be a difficult and frustrating process. At this late stage it's not even clear to me exactly what steps I must take to fulfil an erasure request.

I'm aware that the many forum owners don't believe this law applies to them but for those that do I'd be grateful for any insight you can give into how you've prepared your forums for it.

vbgamer45

If you are an EU user or a major corporation I would look into it. Otherwise I would only worry if an issue arises.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

matti

Quote from: zappaDPJ on March 22, 2018, 02:05:56 PM
I'm aware that the many forum owners don't believe this law applies to them

I believe the GDPR only applies to you if you're a company with over 250 employees, or if you process 'special categories' of data like health data, religious beliefs etc.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: matti on March 26, 2018, 05:14:35 AM
I believe the GDPR only applies to you if you're a company with over 250 employees, or if you process 'special categories' of data like health data, religious beliefs etc.

Unfortunately that's not correct. The UK's ICO has issued specific guidance on compliance for forum owners: https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1600/social-networking-and-online-forums-dpa-guidance.pdf

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 22, 2018, 03:03:53 PM
If you are an EU user or a major corporation I would look into it. Otherwise I would only worry if an issue arises.

If you wait until an issue arises then it's may too late and that may apply to forums both inside and outside of the EU.  Fines for non-compliance are likely to be proportional to the steps taken to implement the regulations. If it's evident that there is no compliance, expect a harsh penalty.

As I said at the start, the majority of forum owners are either oblivious to GDPR or believe that it doesn't apply to them. It does and simply interpreting the regulations is proving to be a nightmare let alone implementing the required functionality which simply doesn't exist in most forum platforms.

Deaks

ZappaDPJ, that link only provides info in regards to DPA and not GDPR, while alot of it is done their is more a community member can do in regards to how forum owners use and store the data that comes in with GDPR
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

zappaDPJ

Quote from: BryanD on April 13, 2018, 09:50:16 PM
ZappaDPJ, that link only provides info in regards to DPA and not GDPR, while alot of it is done their is more a community member can do in regards to how forum owners use and store the data that comes in with GDPR

You are right, I thought I'd linked a paragraph within the document but it appears I've link the pdf version. You are also right about the amount of work required to satisfy the regulations.

Armada

There are now only about twenty days until this law comes into force.

What are forum owners doing to address it?
--- SMF Rocks even more than YabbSE---

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Armada

--- SMF Rocks even more than YabbSE---

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Kindred on May 04, 2018, 08:26:30 AM
better thread to follow on this subject

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559841

read to the last page, especially.

Feel free to close this or merge it with the other thread. This is an important issue that might be better served within a single thread.

Advertisement: