News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Count Posts Issue

Started by thinklab71, March 26, 2018, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinklab71

I just created some child forms,  The counts show on that main area, but some does not show in upper ones.  For example.

Pacific Region
       Colorado
             Denver
                 Fotball game

So Denver will show the post in football game but not Colorado or pacific region. Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Kindred

absolutely correct.

the system only counts the post of a board one level deeper.
'Getting those counts is an "expensive" query in terms of database processing, so we only go one deep.

There is a mod floating around which will take it all the way down... but, IMO, that is a hazard to use, especially on a shared host. and even more so if you have ALOT of children deep...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

thinklab71

Quote from: Kindred on March 26, 2018, 07:39:16 PM
absolutely correct.

the system only counts the post of a board one level deeper.
'Getting those counts is an "expensive" query in terms of database processing, so we only go one deep.

There is a mod floating around which will take it all the way down... but, IMO, that is a hazard to use, especially on a shared host. and even more so if you have ALOT of children deep...

I onlu have 4 deep.  do you know what its called?

Kindred

4 deep is actually quite deep... and it depends how many you have buried that deep.

Seriously, I've been running a forum type site for over 30 years and I have don't think I have ever built a board-tree more than one branch deep.

Do you really need all those layers?  Are the uppser layers actually going to be used for messages?  If not, then I suggest a different layout.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

thinklab71

They could not post on the first 3, it was to break down the locations only.  They only could post on the bottom level.  I just dont want to full up the main page with tons of cities

Kindred

Yeah, there are better ways to do that organization than using blank boards as categories
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: