News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Time out error when logging in

Started by deciph3red, March 28, 2018, 03:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deciph3red

I am having the same issue.  I recently relaunched a site that has sort of just been sitting there for a couple of years.  Slowly, things stopped working (donations block, ts3 info block) and a few others.  I tried to upgrade from 2.0.13 to the latest and ran into tons of issues (this is a 15+ year old website) so considering the amount of activity I decided to do a fresh install.  Everything went perfectly, and all blocks I was having issues with before (using PortaMX as a portal) slowly started coming back online) however im having users complain about this bug "session timed out" when logging in certain ways.  I have instructed them all to remove all cookies pertaining to the site and start over however it seems they can log in certain ways (without using the block) or not log in at all (session timed out).

I have already cleared site cache, and even changed the name of the cookies assigned, but still getting this issue on certain  browsers from certain users.  I can reproduce, but considering im the admin im not sure how accurate that is. . . . . any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shambles

Quote from: deciph3red on March 28, 2018, 03:33:44 AM
I am having the same issue.  I recently relaunched a site that has sort of just been sitting there for a couple of years.  Slowly, things stopped working (donations block, ts3 info block) and a few others.  I tried to upgrade from 2.0.13 to the latest and ran into tons of issues (this is a 15+ year old website) so considering the amount of activity I decided to do a fresh install.  Everything went perfectly, and all blocks I was having issues with before (using PortaMX as a portal) slowly started coming back online) however im having users complain about this bug "session timed out" when logging in certain ways.  I have instructed them all to remove all cookies pertaining to the site and start over however it seems they can log in certain ways (without using the block) or not log in at all (session timed out).

I have already cleared site cache, and even changed the name of the cookies assigned, but still getting this issue on certain  browsers from certain users.  I can reproduce, but considering im the admin im not sure how accurate that is. . . . . any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. You'll find this is an "already solved" topic which may get missed by the excellent support guys & gals.

Probably better if you start your own topic as your circumstances may be different to those of the Original Poster ;)

Irisado

Topic split for reasons Shambles has given.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

deciph3red

Thats the interesting thing.  I have literally done EVERYTHING that I could find via the search (i did that before posting) and was able to temporarily fix it after instructing everyone one to do the basics and clear cache / cookies and I followed the posts in the following topic:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555518.0;all (I dropped the entire database, which I hated to do on a 15 year old website, and did a fresh install with 2.0.15.  The line of code im supposed to edit already seems altered and a I cannot ind the different in my theme, and i made the post in march, of this year).  I also renamed the default cookie, moved my site to another DNS (i sort of own a hosting company) and even did a mirror install on a different IP address with NO DNS server or domain attached and still not could do it.  Using TOR, I still had the same issue (go figure).  This is why im at a loss.

Ive been away from SMF for some time, but still to this day am unable to fix it.  I had some major issues with Portamx on the first install (since the fresh install) and they have since released 2 patches that resolved all of my issues (which you can see were active on their forums). . . . however I have noticed that if I logout, and click LOGIN in the top menu and do it on the main page it seems to work (versus logging in on the homepage via portamx blocks, or the default login block in the top left corner on the default theme).

I do apologize if it doesn't seem I tried to research and correct the issue myself, but as you can see by my profile I have been here a very long time, and haven't really had to many issues.

Im sort of an old man working a dead end job to feed my family and really aren't sure what im missing.  I've added the forum tags (to the files listed), I have completely done a fresh install, I renamed the default cookie, and even flat out went with a fresh install, on a the default theme, and asked all 1,200 members to sign up again if possible. . . . and those FEW people that were already members are having the issue. 

I want to import my old site, with our old forums, and our old members and not have any issues (I still have the DB backed up, so thats not a problem).  I also wanted to see if it was 15 years worth of modifications (our paypal blocks stopped populating totals. . .) and even THAT is working now. . . . so Im 100% lost.  Fresh DB, fresh install, DEFAULT theme, Only modification was Portamx. . . . . . . . I just dont know what it is.

Thanks for being a bad ass community though.  Nice to come back 3 years after not touching SMF and seeing the same faces.

deciph3red

Also, while im at it. . . . . . did something change on the SMF website over the last couple of years.

I noticed that when searching the MOD page, the bottom half of the page doesnt show up, and there are google adsense type ads at the top.

Like. . . . im not sure how to explain it, but I remember a couple years back you could literally click "Download" go to "search" in the bottom left block, and type a plugin you were looking for, and whether or not it was there, you would find related things (like a basic search engine).

For example:  Teamspeak. . . it would pull up about 3 pages of Teamspeak mods or (blocks) or Ventrilo, or Game Server and find halo or america's army packages.  Like even a basic "calendar" package. . . but that function doesn't seem to work.  Im honestly just curious if there is a possibility my browsers just aren't working correctly (although in regards to the original issue posted. . . . . i doubt 9 people from all over the world, showing up at different times are going to have the same problem hundreds of people have already posted about, nor do I see why it would even reflect that). . . . . . but im honestly just curious if SMF itself has sort of dropped after a few years (like I said, i have been around a long time, but not quite active over the last couple years).

Kindred

The issues you have with this site are definitely issues with your personal browser...   I see the mod site just fine .

With regards to the timeout login issue...   did you apply the code change to evenly theme as medicated in the faq? Or apply the mod that the faq suggests?

Either one should work
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

There was an odd bug in 2.0.14 that only affected a few forums, session timeout error occurred in Curve with correct login code, multiple logins were required to get in.  IIRC, I fixed it by disabling session check in Load.php.  Haven't seen it in 2.0.15.  Does it happen in Curve or only in custom theme?  Link to your forum?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: