How to delay rank upgrade

Started by wtfwtf, April 01, 2018, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtfwtf

is there a way to delay the rank upgrade
for example a newbie can become a full member after a month
meaning i want to add time factor in addition to post factor to prevent users ranking up fast
is that possible ? and how?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

wtfwtf

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 01, 2018, 09:48:31 AM
Not possible with out changes.

I'm open to changes
what do you have in mind ?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wtfwtf

ok

i will play with this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1915
on my test forum, needs a lot of change probably though

where can i find the function in charge of changing/updating the rank?

wtfwtf

this pretty important, my users are ranking up too fast, i need to limit them to once per month or something like this

br360

You can change the post count requirements as well if you want to.

Admin>Membergroups>Edit Membergroups and then make it say 500 posts before someone can go from Jr. Member to Full member, etc.

GL700Wing

Quote from: wtfwtf on April 14, 2018, 02:54:16 PM
this pretty important, my users are ranking up too fast, i need to limit them to once per month or something like this
You can also configure boards so that posts in those boards don't increase a member's post count - I've done this for my 'New Members' board where lots of existing members simply post a 'Welcome' message.

AFAIK if you change this setting for a board and then run 'Recount all forum totals and statistics' via Forum Maintenance it will adjust post counts for all existing members.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

wtfwtf

they will find a way to rank if i don't limit it, increasing post count is a temporary solution

GL700Wing

Kindred

Do you have any permissions associated with the post count rank? If not then what does it matter what rank they are it's just a name. If you do have permissions associated with post count rank then perhaps you should turn those permissions off
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wtfwtf

Quote from: Kindred on April 14, 2018, 09:04:12 PM
Do you have any permissions associated with the post count rank? If not then what does it matter what rank they are it's just a name. If you do have permissions associated with post count rank then perhaps you should turn those permissions off

can't we just require a certain amount of time between ranks

GL700Wing

Ranks Based on Time Online - one month = 730 hours.

If you read this post and this post they explain how to change from using 'time online' to 'how long the user has been registered' as the basis for changing rank.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: wtfwtf on April 15, 2018, 09:26:04 AM

Yes, you can. However this will require a custom mod. It shouldn't be hard to code.

wtfwtf

Quote from: doug_ips on April 15, 2018, 11:03:00 AM

Yes, you can. However this will require a custom mod. It shouldn't be hard to code.

can you point me on what needs to be done ?
i'll try to change the code directly

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: wtfwtf on April 15, 2018, 02:00:08 PM
Quote from: doug_ips on April 15, 2018, 11:03:00 AM

can you point me on what needs to be done ?
i'll try to change the code directly

I do not have the time to post the whole code as it takes a lot of time. But you can put in a request for this to be coded as a mod and hopefully someone will code it for you.

GigaWatt

I think you missed GL700Wing's post.

Quote from: GL700Wing on April 15, 2018, 10:06:17 AM
Ranks Based on Time Online - one month = 730 hours.

If you read this post and this post they explain how to change from using 'time online' to 'how long the user has been registered' as the basis for changing rank.

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GL700Wing

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 15, 2018, 07:37:47 PM
I think you missed GL700Wing's post.
As per the first post in this topic and this post I think wtfwtf's requirement is a combination of time and post count - I was just offering alternatives ....

GigaWatt

Yeah, I got it after I read the newly opened topic.

Sorry ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: