News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Polls

Started by SMiFFER, April 02, 2018, 12:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

This question is about polls.
I want to have EVERYBODY be able to vote - even unregistered, foreign users and those who are not logged in.

The docs say:
"This permission allows a (registered) user to cast one vote. It doesn't apply to guests."

But how can I achieve that?
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Kindred

you can not, really...

I mean, in theory, you COULD give guests permission to vote, but that would be stupid, IMO...   since a guest could vote 43 times.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

Then I wonder why there is such an option in the permissions screen for guests...
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Kindred

because it *CAN* be used.... it just should not be.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SMiFFER

I can not quite follow you.

The group permissions for "guests" have switched on here:
View polls = yes
Vote in polls = yes

But even despite you say it can be used, it does not work: When I log myself out and reload I can NOT view the poll (only its thread) and NOT vote.

So how can I use it?

Kindred

betting that you have a permissions profile applied to that board and have not changed the profile - only the global permission
Слaва
Украинi

SMiFFER

The board where this test-poll is posted is set to be viewable by group "guest", too.
Permission Profile: Default

Is that what you "bet"? :)

Illori

well did you check the help tool tip? it says the same as what is in the wiki. that is why it does not work. i dont know why the permission exists if it does not work but it seems to act as the help text says it does.

SMiFFER

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

When you create a poll, it has a checkbox setting for "allow guests to vote" ( or similar, I checked this on a Finnish installation ).
The permissions for viewing and voting work perfectly. This is a 2.x core feature.

What the permissions help text is referring to, is that you can't actually limit guest voting reliably to one vote per user.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SMiFFER

Thanks to Finnland !!

I have found the switch "guest_vote" in the database. Will try that out.

SMiFFER

Yes. That works - contrary to the philosophic discussion before.

THANK YOU, LEX !!!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: