News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"Remove All Posts" on Ban

Started by kittonium, April 03, 2018, 10:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittonium

Hi,

anyone know of a mod that allows you to have a "Remove Posts and Topics" when banning someone?

I recently enabled a minimum post thingy to download something on my forum and there has been a lot of spammers who cant be bothered to get 10 posts... would be good if i can ban them and delete their posts instead of just deleting their account :)

Kindred

Why would you do that?

You remove all posts on DELETE....   

banning spammers is basically pointless.
delete their accounts.

then use questions, etc to keep them from registering ing the first place.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kittonium

Quote from: Kindred on April 03, 2018, 12:36:03 PM
Why would you do that?

You remove all posts on DELETE....   

banning spammers is basically pointless.
delete their accounts.

then use questions, etc to keep them from registering ing the first place.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

It's not like a bot spammer it's real people,, I just want them to stay banned becuase I need a mod to have "Remove Account on Ban" and thought it would be easier to do this instead of that.

+ it makes them feel worse when they are postdelete banned

Kindred

except, if you delete the account when you have a ban, the ban becomes mostly ineffective - because, most of the time the ban was on the account....

Banning by IP is pointless. It would take me 2 seconds to get a new IP.
Banning by host name is also mostly pointless

Both of these are likely to trigger on real users as well.

Banning by email is mostly pointless as well, since I can set up a new gmail account in 30 seconds
So, the one effective ban that you have (banning the account itself) is removed when you delete the user account...

in other words, what you are doing is pretty much pointless against active spammers/nasty users.
Banning is only actually effective against normal users

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: