News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrading from 2.0.9 to current version

Started by arreferee, March 28, 2018, 03:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arreferee

It's been a while since I've worked with this software so I have a pretty basic question.  Unfortunately, the person who was taking care of the forum was diagnosed with a couple of years ago and wasn't able to upgrade the forum on a regular basis...and I didn't realize he wasn't doing it. 

Anyway, I need to upgrade from 2.0.9 to the current version (2.0.15 I think).  Does this need to be done one version at a time (2.0.9 to 2.0.10, then 2.0.10 to 2.0.11, etc.) or can it all be done at once?  If either is an option, which is the easier option for a "non_programmer?"

Thanks!

shawnb61

By far, the easiest way is to go one patch at a time.  You can find the individual patches here:
https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

If you get errors, you should stop & research those before installing the updates.  Errors are infrequent, and are almost always caused by a conflict with a mod.  There is usually a discussion & a suggested fix for any errors you run into on the appropriate mod board. 

One thing to be careful of is that the installer may have a selection at the bottom for applying updates to individual themes.  Pay careful attention to that - there are some recent patches where it is important to select that so the appropriate updates are made to your themes.  It defaults to unchecked... 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

arreferee

Quote from: shawnb61 on March 28, 2018, 03:17:17 PM
By far, the easiest way is to go one patch at a time.  You can find the individual patches here:
https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

If you get errors, you should stop & research those before installing the updates.  Errors are infrequent, and are almost always caused by a conflict with a mod.  There is usually a discussion & a suggested fix for any errors you run into on the appropriate mod board. 

One thing to be careful of is that the installer may have a selection at the bottom for applying updates to individual themes.  Pay careful attention to that - there are some recent patches where it is important to select that so the appropriate updates are made to your themes.  It defaults to unchecked...

Thank you for the quick reply.  Hopefully I'll be able to give this a shot in the next couple of days.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

arreferee

Advertisement: