News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Can SMF handle a very large vB 3.8.x forum conversion?

Started by Kestryll, March 11, 2018, 05:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kestryll

I run a very large forum, 1.2 million threads, 19.4 million posts and 290,000+ members.

I want to update the software to something more up to date.
Would SMF be able to handle a forum this big?
What issues would a forum of this size run in to with SMF if any?

landyvlad

Not sure.
That's a massive forum alright - what's the subject matter?

The biggest SMF forum I am on has

2,460,171 Posts
117,381 Topics
9,021 members.

but I know there are numerous bigger ones out there.

No doubt someone will come along to provide an accurate answer.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

vbgamer45

Yes I have known a couple forums with over 10 million posts
https://www.forumrankings.net/software/smf

Make sure you ask to join the big boards group as well. there is many ways to optimize your SMF forum.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Doug Heffernan

Looking at that list that vbgamer45 posted I would say yes, Smf handles large forums with ease.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, should be doable. Mine is (only) around 3 million posts and running smoothly.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

jakes_t

One thing to consider is the release of 2.1 which may be in the nearby future. This would require another conversion process if you would like to use the latest version, so may be worth waiting and going straight to the latest version..?

Illori

Quote from: jakes_t on March 12, 2018, 06:26:03 PM
One thing to consider is the release of 2.1 which may be in the nearby future. This would require another conversion process if you would like to use the latest version, so may be worth waiting and going straight to the latest version..?

SMF 2.1 is not a conversion, it is an upgrade. this is a different process then converting. also we dont know how soon SMF 2.1 will have a gold release. at this point i would recommend converting to SMF 2.0.

jakes_t

Fair enough, I understand. It's just that I would definitely not do the upgrade process on a live system without testing it locally. So basically just a heads up that there may be more work involved, ie, a second step in the future that may require some planning as well  :)

Advertisement: