Problem with on off indicators

Started by Kathryn_, April 06, 2018, 03:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathryn_

I am running SMF 2.0.15 and I have this situation of my forum not showing new posts by the on off indicators that are on the left of the page....  It does not work with default either.... what can I do to repair this? You can see what I mean on the index page under trailers I loaded a new youtube today and it still won't work ???

my site is:
TopBooks

Kindred

account to test this with? 
there will never be "new" for guests
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

hmmm.... it seems there are other issues with your site. I was originally unable to log in, because you have your login session time set to 0 minutes.

Please change that setting if you want anyone to actually be able to log in.

... but once i did log in, the on/off are working exactly as expected.

All show "ON" to start with. (correct, new account, has not read anything)
go to movie trailers - click "mark all as read"
back to main index
now all show ON, except Movie Trailer which shows OFF.

--edit -- I deleted your previous post... you actually posted an admin level account. eeks...
I changed the cookie setting to 15 minutes.
I also removed the admin permission for the test account, just in case anyone else tries it.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kathryn_

Okay well what should I change the log in to 120?

GigaWatt

Admin --> Configuration --> Server Settings --> Cookies and Sessions --> Seconds before an unused session timeout
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kathryn_

Yes I did get it and know where but I did not change it to 120 and left it at 15 since that is appropriate  :)

GigaWatt

It's in seconds.

QuoteThis is the number of seconds for sessions to last after they haven't been accessed. If a session is not accessed for too long, it is said to have "timed out". Anything higher than 2400 is recommended.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Kathryn_

You change it under cookies and the login is not in seconds it is in minutes so 15 is fine. Thank you for your suggestion though Gina

GigaWatt

Is this the setting?

Default login cookies length (in minutes)

Kathryn_

Yes and I made an error and thought I could zero that out by putting a 0 to open the time limit but no... :) 

Kindred

you don't want it to be unlimited anyway....    users stay in your online list for that length of time - so leaving it at "unlimited" means that a usr would always be listed in your who's online list and your log in the database would grow quickly out of control
Слaва
Украинi

Kathryn_

I understand.. so what does it mean, when a user is listed as Unknown Action? Where are they?

Kindred

Somewhere that has not been specifically added to the action tracking array... often a mod...
Слaва
Украинi

Kathryn_

Thank you for explaining.. Much appreciated Kindred  I think something is amiss though because the last few days I have been averaging about 15 people an hour but at the bottom of the forum it still says the most users online is 3 February 2018

Advertisement: