Re: Migrating SMF users accounts but not posts or PM

Started by Piwaille, April 12, 2018, 05:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piwaille

Hello

I'm planning to migrate My old forum (SMF 1.1.X) toward a 2.X version
But ... All previous transfer I tryed did not complet.
I think, the main reason is my forum is too huge : ~11.000 members, ~650.000 messages into 9 catégories.
(where serving >4.000.000 page / month )

So what I planed is to make a copy, which I wild clean (keep the last X messages maybe 1.000) and then make a migration.

Is there any trouble planing that path ?
or do you have any better idea ?
Piwaille
le chant du vario est motorisé par SMF 1.1.15

Kindred

That's not huge...   I have updates forums with over 2million posts

There is no need to delete posts.  Just do the update by following the instructions.
It will take some time, but it will work.

The only thing you should clear, first, is the error log
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

I had similar problems migrating to 2.0.x, mostly with the database conversion.

I would recommend the following.

[01] Export your current database. Let's call it myforum.sql.

[02] Create a new empty database on your host. Let's call it smf1.sql.

[03] Install a new copy of 1.1.x on a subdomain (allocate webspace to it, for example a new directory in your webspace called smf1test ). Let's call this subdomain smf1test.myforum.com. During the installation, connect the new forum with the smf1.sql database. SMF 1.1.x will populate the database with the default tables.

[04] Create another database and upload myforum.sql in it.

[05] Log in on the new forum (smf1test.myforum.com) and create a topic, post something in it, attach a file, etc.

[06] Open up both databases, myforum.sql and smf1.sql, side by side in phpMyAdmin.

[07] Delete all of the tables in myforum.sql that are not present in smf1.sql. When finished, check if the number of tables in myforum.sql matches the one in smf1.sql. Also, check if there are any extra columns in any of the tables of the (now truncated) myforum.sql database (columns which don't exist in the corresponding tables in smf1.sql).

[08] Convert the database and all of the tables to UTF-8 (I followed this advice).

[09] Run the SMF 2.0.x conversion tool.

[10] If it reports any errors, fix them one by one and try again. Eventually, it will convert the database.

[11] Backup the converted myforum.sql database.

[12] Create a new empty database (let's call it smf2.sql) and populate it with the content of the converted myforum.sql database.

[13] Create a new subdomain. Let's call it smf2test.myforum.com. Link it with a new directory in your webspace (smf2test).

[14] Upload the installer for SMF 2.0.x and install SMF 2.0.x on smf2test.myforum.com. During the install, link SMF 2.0.x with the smf2.sql database.

[15] Afterwards, run repair_settings.php, correct anything that needs to be corrected and try loading the forum (load smf2test.myforum.com in your browser). Everything should be working fine... with the exception that you'll have to reconfigure your forum.

Quote from: Kindred on April 12, 2018, 06:40:56 AM
The only thing you should clear, first, is the error log

Yeah, forgot about that ;). First clear your error log.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

ummm..... no.
why would you ever run the installer with an existing database? It will delete the contents of the database.

Empty the error logs and other logs (using the admin options)
Backup files and datanase
Upload the contents of the UPGRADE archive
run upgrade.php

done.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on April 12, 2018, 10:43:57 AM
ummm..... no.
why would you ever run the installer with an existing database? It will delete the contents of the database.

I think we misunderstood each other. During the installation procedure, link the existing (already populated with members, posts, ect.) database (converted and compatible with SMF 2.0.x). Of course, the installer gives you this option so you could link an empty database, but I guess (I'm not sure) it also detects if an existing forum database is present. If it is, it skips the "make an admin account" page. It just goes to the "Finish" page.

In any case, in the last step, you don't have to run the installer. Just copy the files, delete install.php, install_2-0_mysql.sql, install_2-0_postgresql.sql and install_2-0_sqlite.sql, run repair_settings.php, make the adequate changes and you're done ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Kindred

In other words... use the upgrade archive, not the install archive.
Слaва
Украинi

GigaWatt

Had no idea that the upgrade archive contained all of the files in the install archive, except the installation files.

Well, in that case, yeah... use the upgrade archive.

Kindred

He als9 needs the upgrade archive, because he absolutely has to run upgrade.php.

The database has some significant changes between 1.1.x and 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: