News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Unable to create Categories and Boards

Started by Cov, April 12, 2018, 02:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cov

Hello,

someone I know has just registered a new domain and installed a forum.
After I registrated as a new member, he transfered mod & admin rights to me.

But when I try to created new Categories or new Boards, it won't let me.

I have asked the owner if he knows what might be the problem, but he was able to create new boards just fine, he showed me a screenshot of his result.
I wasn't able to see the new boards at first, but when I logged out, the new boards were suddenly visible to me. And as soon as I logged in, they were gone.

What might be the problem?

Kindred

sounds like a permission problem...    perhaps he did not make you an actual admin, but just an alternative admin-like group

Also, "it won't let me" is not a helpful description.
What happens when you try to create a new category or a new board?

Also, are you actually using SMF 2.1 beta?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Cov

Quote from: Kindred on April 12, 2018, 02:45:07 PMAlso, "it won't let me" is not a helpful description.
What happens when you try to create a new category or a new board?
Hello, thank you for helping me.

When I try to create a new board, I get the error message: "The specified board does not exist".
And when I try to create a new category, I get no error message after I click on "add category"
It just does not do anything.

QuoteAlso, are you actually using SMF 2.1 beta?
Under Support Information, it says:
Forum Version: SMF 2.1 Beta 3

Illori

then you need to upgrade to beta 4 on github and try to duplicate. do keep in mind that SMF 2.1 is not really supported at this time due to being in development.

Cov

Quote from: Illori on April 12, 2018, 03:09:48 PMthen you need to upgrade to beta 4 on github and try to duplicate.
Okay, I have just sent him an email about this and added the link to this topic.

In the mean time, would it be possible for me to hand you over the address of the website as well as my login details, so you could check for yourself?

Illori

if you cant do it with your access why do you think someone else would be able to do it with your access? i dont think it would make any difference.

Cov

Quote from: Illori on April 12, 2018, 03:19:13 PM
... why do you think someone else would be able to do it ...
Good point, but since I'm still a noob, I thought I might have done something wrong.

By the way, besides this problem .. is it possible to change the appearance of the forum?
I'm thinking of the color scheme and some other changes of the design.

There is "SimpleMachinesForum" written on the top right hand side, can we remove that?
I believe I would need to have special admin rights transfered, in order to make any changes, right?

Illori

ideally if you are just starting this forum, i would recommend starting over with SMF 2.0 rather then SMF 2.1. then you can use mods and themes from the customization site linked at the top of the page.

Cov

I was about to forward your suggestion to the owner, but I then received a reply from him: he has given me full admin rights. When I go and check, I'm suddenly able to create categories and boards - YAY! Besides this, I can see lots of options and setting that I can modify. I hope I'll be able to cope and if not, I now know where to get help:D

Advertisement: