News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Remove administrator Tag?

Started by Cov, April 13, 2018, 12:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cov

Hello,

I prefer to be under cover.

• Is there a way to remove my "Administrator" tag beneath the avatar?

• Also is there a list of different tags, that appear at each member's profile (depending on the number of individual postings)?
  • And if yes, where could this list be viewed and/or be modified?

• Besides this, is there a way to disable tags for all members (like: "Newbie") completely?
  • Is there also a way to disable the number of posts (underneath the member's avatar)?

Thanks very much!

GigaWatt

About the tags that appear under each member based on their post count, those are called post count based groups and this is SMF's default behavior.

Admin --> Members --> Membergroups --> Edit Membergroups --> Post count based groups

Click on the Modify link on each of the post count based groups and change the name of the group ;).

About completely disabling them... I think you can't disable this behavior, but I'd wait for the gurus to respond on this particular question ;). In any case, you can make the names of all of them the same, say "Regular Member". That way, it's basically disabled ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

In theme settings,

Disable post count group display for grouped members

However, that only disables the display for members who are in a primary group...

If you don't want admin to display as a user's group, then assign it as a secondary group instead of the primary group.

Finally...  I suggest that you read the online manual linked above, as all of your questions so far are answered there.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2018, 06:53:57 AM
Finally...  I suggest that you read the online manual linked above, as all of your questions so far are answered there.

also keep in mind that the manual has not been updated for SMF 2.1, some features/options have been moved and you may need to search for them.

Cov

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 13, 2018, 05:13:02 AM
Admin --> Members --> Membergroups --> Edit Membergroups --> Post count based groups

Click on the Modify link on each of the post count based groups and change the name of the group.
Thank you so much for this, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2018, 06:53:57 AM

That's true, almost all questions are being answered in the online manual.
Problem is, such a manual, of course, is rather extensive and I lack the patience to go through the whole.

However being able to ask away specific questions in this forum (without any hurry) to get straight to the point answers a little later - honestly, it can't get any better than this for a noob like me. Besides this, there's this rule: to use as little effort as possible, in order to gain as much profit as possible. Once the forum is setup to our liking, I doubt we would have to look into the manual ever again.

There are a few other questions that I have though, where I have got the feeling the answer is going to be: "That doesn't work". Instead of going through all pages of the manual unsuccessfully, I just ask here in the forum and you then tell me: "No way, GTFO".
That's fine by me :D

Kindred

Quote from: Cov on April 13, 2018, 12:59:08 PM
Besides this, there's this rule: to use as little effort as possible, in order to gain as much profit as possible.

Exactly...  and, living by this rule -- we put a bunch of effort into making the manula so that we wouldn't have to spend individual effort answering the same questions over and over
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Cov

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2018, 02:23:38 PM
Exactly...  and, living by this rule -- we put a bunch of effort into making the manual so that we wouldn't have to spend individual effort answering the same questions over and over

Would it be okay for you to just ignore my upcoming questions, to save you from answering them over and over?

Illori

can you try to search the forum before you post your questions? a lot of your questions have been asked and answered already, although some locations may have changed for the settings i think you will still be able to find them.

Kindred

See, the thing is, Cov...  I posted that to point out that while we have no issue actually answering questions, we definitely appreciate it when users do a little bit of research on their own - especially when the answer is easily found in the manual or by a simple search.

I mean, at least make a token effort to find the answer on your own....
Слaва
Украинi

Cov

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2018, 04:08:28 PM
... we definitely appreciate it when users do a little bit of research on their own

Quote from: Illori on April 13, 2018, 04:04:27 PM
... a lot of your questions have been asked and answered already ...

I must admit, the search feature already has answered some of my questions, but ... one of my next questions would have been: "how to add smiley pack"
Using the search bar I get this: ANY smileys packs for 2.1?

I still don't know how to do that, as I have no experience with this particular task.
Not that this was important to us, this is one of the small things - still nice to know, but negligible.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Cov

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2018, 04:56:53 PM
Yet another case where the answer is in the manual.

Quote1 Smiley Sets
2 Add Smiley
3 Edit Smileys
3.1 Showing Smilies and settings for Smilies
3.2 Modifying a smiley
4 Set Smiley Order
5 Edit Message Icons
5.1 Viewing your message icons
5.2 Editing your message icons
6 Settings

How would I know:

1 - in what format the set of smileys has to be
2 - where to get sets of smileys that have the correct size

It doesn't say in the manual and ... I have never done this before.

Illori

smiley packs are from the mod site, there is no guarantee that those made for SMF 1.1 or SMF 2.0 will work on SMF 2.1. there is no guarantee that an mod on the mod site will work with SMF 2.1.

Kindred

technically, there are no size limit.

there is no specified format other than "image"

you can add them individually and specifying the filename or add them in a pack by taking a look at how the other have done it.
Слaва
Украинi

Cov

Taking a deep breath .. or two, before posting question #1205 ...

So I've used Google for the term "smiley packs mod site" and found this under "customize", great!
Then I've browsed a few different smiley sets (only some have previews of what to be expected) and decided to download: Flat emoji (Twitter Emoji), resulting in a RAR file.

Upon extracting I get a folder with 16 different smiley faces, with each one being 16 x 16 pixels big. Going back to Admin > Forum > Smiley & Message Icons > Add Smiley > Upload New Smiley > Choose File ... what am I suppose to be uploading? I try the RAR file, but get the error message: "An Error Has Occurred, No code for this smiley was given." Hm, try again, this time one of the 16 smileys, resulting in: "An Error Has Occurred, No code for this smiley was given."

What the monkey?

Gary

Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Cov

Thanks, I will look for more user friendly forum software.
You can delete my account.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Cov on April 13, 2018, 04:35:13 PM
Using the search bar I get this: ANY smileys packs for 2.1?

Use the search filter (Advanced search), search in topic subjects only and don't write "how to" just enter the key words ("smiley pack" in this example). One of the first 4 or 5 results, in most cases, would be exactly what you're looking for.

And just a general thought. If you thought that this was going to be a little more complicated than installing a program in Windows... guess again.

I would propose to do a little bit of reading about forums, scripts, packages, archives, etc. before you post a question. In most cases, as you've found out, the answer is only a Google search away ;).

And packages are packed in open source archive formats, mostly .zip or .gzip archives, definitely not .rar archives (RAR is a proprietary archive format and compression algorithm).

Quote from: Cov on April 13, 2018, 08:49:22 PM

There is none... unless you want others to do your work for you.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

As a note,

Seeing as you are a complete beginner, why would you use a beta version?
Слaва
Украинi

landyvlad

Quote from: Cov on April 13, 2018, 08:49:22 PM

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2018, 09:29:49 PM
Seeing as you are a complete beginner, why would you use a beta version?

Because he/she doesn't read instructions, clearly.

Cov it's not the forum software that needs changing, it's your attitude.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: