News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

repair_settings.php

Started by Novice, April 16, 2018, 01:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novice

I recently had to move our site to a new server. All went well until I tried to use repair_settings.php to correct the directory paths and settings. The new server was running php 7.1 and this caused a server 500 error trying to load that page. Once I reverted the version back tp php 5.6 all was good.

GigaWatt

So... what's the problem?

Officially, SMF 2.0.x doesn't support PHP 7.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 16, 2018, 05:43:02 AM
So... what's the problem?

Officially, SMF 2.0.x doesn't support PHP 7.

It will need to soon, as 5.6 will be End Of Life at the end of the year. 7.0 goes End Of Life just before that so realistically it needs to offically support 7.1 by the end of the year

GigaWatt

Well, the developers made it clear. There won't be any features updates for 2.0.x, only bug/security updates, so... we'll either have to stick to 5.6 (somehow) or transfer to 2.1 beta (I think it supports PHP 7.0 and above).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Illori

i am pretty sure SMF 2.0 now supports php 7.0, we dont support beyond that. we dont recommend anyone use SMF 2.1 in production at this time.

GigaWatt

So, does SMF 2.1 officially support PHP 7.0 and above, including 7.2?

Bigguy

I'm running 2.1 on php 7.0 and it runs great.

vbgamer45

7.0/7.1 for sure.  7.2 not sure they would need to comment
2.0.15 works fine on php 7.0 and 7.1 I have mine running on 7.1
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

GigaWatt

Wow... I just checked in my hosts control panel... I'm actually on 7.1 :D. I thought I was on 5.6 :D.

Running SMF 2.0.15, no problems so far ;).

Novice

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 16, 2018, 08:41:09 PM
7.0/7.1 for sure.  7.2 not sure they would need to comment
2.0.15 works fine on php 7.0 and 7.1 I have mine running on 7.1

2.0.15 actually worked running 7.1 once I manually repaired the paths. I did have some difficulty with a few mods failing but, as you already know, I'm not the coder that the rest of you are.

Advertisement: