News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Theme will not change

Started by MamaTea, April 16, 2018, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GigaWatt

OK, I've forgotten details about this thread.

As I can remember, this is happening only on your PC, right? Sir Osis of Liver reported that it wasn't happening when he tried to change themes from his environment (PC), right?

Have you run any malware removal tools on your PC (I suppose you're on Windows)? If not, try these: JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), AdwCleaner, HijackThis.

If there is still a problem... if you'd like, I can confirm Sir Osis of Liver's results. PM me the admin info.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 02, 2018, 07:01:28 PM
OK, I've forgotten details about this thread.

As I can remember, this is happening only on your PC, right? Sir Osis of Liver reported that it wasn't happening when he tried to change themes from his environment (PC), right?

Have you run any malware removal tools on your PC (I suppose you're on Windows)? If not, try these: JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), AdwCleaner, HijackThis.

If there is still a problem... if you'd like, I can confirm Sir Osis of Liver's results. PM me the admin info.

Yeah, I have an HP...  This issue is still occurring on my husband's computer, which is a MAC.

Is it at all possible that it has something to do with my IP address?  I wouldn't think so- but I just don't know about these things...

So these sites are safe? I haven't renewed my McAfee though I run my Windows Defender Security Center which scans several things, including viruses and performance, just not my firewall/network protection.. O:)

GigaWatt

I forgot that it's happening on your husbands Mac too... scratch the malware tools. It wouldn't hurt to run them, it's just that... your PC is probably not the issue. And they are safe, I've used them many times. Not a bad idea to keep them in your bookmarks ;).

Is your husbands Mac a laptop? If it is, could you try to connect to a neighbor's Wi-Fi and see if it's happening from their IP too. It's preferable that your neighbor is on a different ISP.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't think it's anything like that if it only affects theme changes.  It's interesting that it works for her after I've been on in her admin account.  Password has been changed, can you give me admin access again?

You mentioned earlier you're using an autoinstaller, have you tried doing a clean install with the install package?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 02, 2018, 10:35:18 PM
Don't think it's anything like that if it only affects theme changes.  It's interesting that it works for her after I've been on in her admin account.  Password has been changed, can you give me admin access again?

You mentioned earlier you're using an autoinstaller, have you tried doing a clean install with the install package?

I had done the auto install first, then this problem happened, so I installed manually.  The problem persisted so I started this thread :)

It resets when I log out then log back in- that is something I have found through working on this.
I do think it is interesting that you didnt have the same problem when you edited my theme css.  That's the only time the theme freezes up for me- after I edit the theme code.

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 02, 2018, 09:09:18 PM
I forgot that it's happening on your husbands Mac too... scratch the malware tools. It wouldn't hurt to run them, it's just that... your PC is probably not the issue. And they are safe, I've used them many times. Not a bad idea to keep them in your bookmarks ;).

Is your husbands Mac a laptop? If it is, could you try to connect to a neighbor's Wi-Fi and see if it's happening from their IP too. It's preferable that your neighbor is on a different ISP.

Thanks!
His is a laptop.  I'll have to ask him to use it for a minute at his work later.

GigaWatt

Quote from: MamaTea on May 03, 2018, 07:55:30 AM
I had done the auto install first, then this problem happened, so I installed manually.  The problem persisted so I started this thread :)

Did you delete everything in your webspace and create a new database from scratch for the manual install? You can clean your webspace via FTP/SFTP or your hosts file manager. About the database, delete the old one, create a new one, connect SMF to it during the install procedure ;).

And do post weather the same issue occurs on your husband's Mac when he's at work ;).

Illori

do keep in mind if you do DELETE your database your whole forum will have the data deleted and you will be starting over fresh with a new install.

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 03, 2018, 10:04:48 AM

Did you delete everything in your webspace and create a new database from scratch for the manual install?

I deleted my database and the webpage and completely started from scratch, yes :)

I was pretty thorough lol, for not knowing much about what I was doing.

I will update you on how it works on a new IP!  It will probably be at the end of the work day.  I was too Hangry for going in and doing it this morning when I dropped him off  :laugh:

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 03, 2018, 10:04:48 AM

And do post weather the same issue occurs on your husband's Mac when he's at work ;).

I'm here now visiting over lunch, I just tried it- same problem on his MAC laptop as well as his DELL work desktop here!

I dunno \:(/

MamaTea

My process for checking this issue:

sign on

go to themes and layout settings

change current layout to Curve

go to modify themes

go into edit any theme's stylesheets

click index.css

click save

go back out to themes and layout settings

switch back to Morning (both overall and switch everyone to)

Theme does not change.  shows that it should be under morning.

sign out.  theme is corrected

Sir Osis of Liver

You're using the admin template editor to modify index.css?

Ok, believe I've replicated the problem on your forum.  If you edit index.css using template editor, you cannot change theme until you logout/login.  Don't know why, I've never used template editor, and neither should you.  It's clunky and doesn't save a backup.  Download file via FTP, save a backup, upload modified file via FTP, you shouldn't have this problem.  Will see if I can replicate the glitch on test install.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm seeing exactly the behavior you described in your previous post, both on your forum and my test install.  If you load index.css into the admin editor and save changes, changing theme has no effect until you logout.  Am fairly sure first time I did it on your forum had to logout, login, then change theme again to fix it, but not getting that now.  Logging out changes theme.  This would seem to be a minor bug, solution is to not use admin editor to modify files.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 03, 2018, 05:13:50 PM
You're using the admin template editor to modify index.css?

I've never used template editor, and neither should you.  It's clunky and doesn't save a backup.  Download file via FTP, save a backup, upload modified file via FTP, you shouldn't have this problem.  Will see if I can replicate the glitch on test install.

Oh cool! I didnt really know about another way to do this, I knew that there had to be something since downloadable themes can have all sorts of different files and such.

Thank you!  I'll play around with this later!

Kindred

the template editor is there for quick, emergency fixes...   but, as noted, editing the files directly (ftp or host filemanager) is the best way to do things.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MamaTea

Thanks so much!! I was originally just following the directions shown on the SMF manual so I honestly didn't think much about going outside of that!

Advertisement: