Theme will not change

Started by MamaTea, April 16, 2018, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MamaTea

AHHHH I feel so relieved and so silly.

I figured it out.  I can't use google chrome.  I switched over to internet explorer and everything works beautifully now!!

Thanks for all of your help!  I really appreciate the knowledge and chat :)

If I make the changes over on Explorer it changes in Chrome.

So my images show up in Explorer and not in Chrome.  Anyone know a fix for this for my future members who will not be using a SMF-friendly browser?

Deaks

once your theme has been used often and is fixed it will show in chrome just can take time for cahces etc to clear, you should design your site for all popular browsers not just one as you will alienate a majority of people if you just deisgn for ie
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

MamaTea

Thanks ByranD!

SO I have already marked this topic as solved though it just got a bit weirder.

I uploaded a new theme through Internet Explorer and now my Explorer browser is stuck on the TeaTime theme while the Chrome browser is showing whatever theme I select.

This is not a big deal really, just some kind of lag in information I'm sure. 

My solution to this issue now is to use multiple web browsers XD

Shambles

Have you actually tried using a full-on hard browser refresh (ctrl+F5 in Windows) after each change...?

Sir Osis of Liver

Shouldn't be any lag, sounds more like a caching problem.  Try disabling forum caching in Admin -> Server Settings -> Caching, and ask your host if they're running any caching (varnish has caused wierd problems on several forums).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Shambles on April 18, 2018, 12:16:45 PM
Have you actually tried using a full-on hard browser refresh (ctrl+F5 in Windows) after each change...?

Yep!  I sure have!!

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 18, 2018, 12:47:41 PM
Shouldn't be any lag, sounds more like a caching problem.  Try disabling forum caching in Admin -> Server Settings -> Caching, and ask your host if they're running any caching (varnish has caused wierd problems on several forums).

I'll try this later, I'm on a different computer and for some reason it is having some kind of error upon login saying that the session has timed out. 

Thanks again!

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 18, 2018, 12:47:41 PM

ok, so I disabled the caching on my forum site and through my host.  My Internet Explorer is still stuck showing the TeaTime forum while my Chrome is working very well (I've just been doing all of my theme uploading and edits through Explorer)

Illori

it is possible your host has css cached and that needs to be disabled.

MamaTea

Quote from: Illori on April 18, 2018, 04:48:28 PM
it is possible your host has css cached and that needs to be disabled.

I double checked with them before I made the prior post :) They told me how to disable the css cache associated with my site.  I really appreciate the suggestions!  Hopefully we will figure it out soon.

GigaWatt

Try testing this with at least two other browsers (for example, Firefox and Opera). If they behave the same as Chrome, the problem is within IE. Also, try running IE from another computer (or a virtual machine), see if the same thing happens in a different environment (and maybe IE version).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 18, 2018, 07:11:50 PM
Try testing this with at least two other browsers (for example, Firefox and Opera). If they behave the same as Chrome, the problem is within IE. Also, try running IE from another computer (or a virtual machine), see if the same thing happens in a different environment (and maybe IE version).

I will do that and get back to you, though this problem originated in Chrome.  I just haven't uploaded themes or edited the css of a theme in the Chrome since it started working the last time.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just cycled through all five themes in IE11 and FF58, all loaded normally.

- R. Waters

Deaks

reallly random question but their is reasoning behind it that some will understand but who is your host?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

MamaTea

My host is Hostinger.

After this started happening in IE I dropped the idea that it was caused by the browser.  I has got to have something to do with my host, how I have things set up, or my computer itself, right?

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Also, it is pretty strange that my site on IE wasn't changing from the TeaTime theme until you logged on and switched through the themes- and now it is set right.

Strange happenings.

GigaWatt

So, now everything is as it should be?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 19, 2018, 08:55:36 PM
So, now everything is as it should be?

Well, the same thing happened last time Sir Osis of Liver poked around my forum a bit.  It was fine until I went in and messed with the css of a theme on my computer and the theme froze up again.  I am going to go into it and test it out again here in a bit.

Advertisement: