Theme will not change

Started by MamaTea, April 16, 2018, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

There's nothing you can do to theme css that will prevent forum from switching themes.  Still sounds like a caching problem, but it's not server-side or I'd see it too.  Can't imagine how you could be having same caching problem in multiple browsers.  If I could replicate it I could fix it, but all works fine for me.

Just a thought, is there an .htaccess file in or above your forum root?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 20, 2018, 12:47:56 PM

Just a thought, is there an .htaccess file in or above your forum root?

Yes! there is one on the same level as my forum root.  /public_html/.htaccess

# Powered by Zyro.com

ErrorDocument 401 "Unauthorized"
ErrorDocument 403 "Forbidden"
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
#### PERSISTENT CONTENT ####
DirectoryIndex index.php index.cgi index.html
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \/(js\/main\.js|css\/(\d+|common|site)\.css)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ zyro/$1 [L,QSA]

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't know what that is, it was placed there by Zyro.  A clean SMF install does not have an .htaccess.  I no longer have ftp access, rename it to .htaccexx, see what happens.  It's an Apache file, should affect all users if it's causing the problem, but don't have a better idea.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 21, 2018, 04:25:33 PM
Don't know what that is, it was placed there by Zyro.  A clean SMF install does not have an .htaccess.  I no longer have ftp access, rename it to .htaccexx, see what happens.  It's an Apache file, should affect all users if it's causing the problem, but don't have a better idea.

Oh, I see.  There are a few .htaccess files inside of my forum. There is one in each attachments, cache, and packages.  Are you thinking I should do that for all of them or test them one at a time?

You now should have access to my FTP again.

Thanks again for your help in this.

Sir Osis of Liver

The other .htaccess files in subdirectories belong there.  Are you using Zyro?  I've renamed .htaccess, forum's still running.  Try changing themes.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 21, 2018, 04:53:38 PM
The other .htaccess files in subdirectories belong there.  Are you using Zyro?  I've renamed .htaccess, forum's still running.  Try changing themes.

Still stuck viewing the theme I was using the last time I edited the css of a theme.  So strange.
I am going to borrow my husbands computer tonight to see what happens with this on a different computer.

Sir Osis of Liver

How exactly are you changing themes?

- R. Waters

Kindred

Also, please do note that there is a difference between server side caching and server side css caching.   If they turned off the css caching, you may still have issues with whatever other caching they use.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

But anything server-side should affect all users, and I have no problem changing themes.  Unless it's a time related glitch that occurs as cache fills up, so it works for a while, then craps out.  But that wouldn't explain what's happening here unless server cache clears for new user.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 21, 2018, 05:13:59 PM
How exactly are you changing themes?

Admin -> Themes and Layout -> Manage and Install -> select options in dropdown for both Overall forum default and Reset everyone to -> Save

MamaTea

My theme is still acting the same on my husband's computer.  At least it works fine for everyone else.

I'm not sure what it causing it, though logging in through a different account seems to reset the theme on my account. I don't think there will be any harm in just leaving it.  Hopefully there won't be anymore issues that pop up from whatever is causing this glitch!

GigaWatt

Try creating a new user, promote the user to admin and try changing themes from the new admin account.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

If I use her admin account, themes change normally, that's what's puzzling about it.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

That's what I was implying. Maybe the problem is with her user (admin account)... something was not created correctly in the database... maybe some of the permissions... that's why I suggested to promote a test user and see if the problem disappears when she tries to change themes from the new admin account.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Sir Osis of Liver

Her admin account works normally when I use it.  If it were borked, wouldn't work for me either.

- R. Waters

MamaTea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 23, 2018, 09:59:43 PM
Her admin account works normally when I use it.  If it were borked, wouldn't work for me either.

That and I have created a new user account (an entire new forum page) about 3-4 times between the auto-installer and manual installation trying to fix this issue.  I am a beginner in all of this though I certainly did think this issue was mind-boggling.

MamaTea

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 23, 2018, 09:57:57 AM
Try creating a new user, promote the user to admin and try changing themes from the new admin account.

I will try this, just to see what happens.  I am curious.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's remotely possible it's a cookie problem.  Try renaming cookie in Admin -> Server Settings -> Cookies and Sessions.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: MamaTea on April 24, 2018, 12:23:06 PM
I will try this, just to see what happens.  I am curious.

That's what I meant ;). Just curious what would happen ;).

Sir Osis of Liver might be on to something. Also try what he suggested, change the cookie name, afterwards clear cache or browse the forum in private browsing/incognito mode (Firefox --> Ctrl + Shift + P, Chrome --> Ctrl + Shift + N).

MamaTea

Ok so, I haven't had much time to work on this lately.

Changing the cookie name did not work.

This problem is happening with the new admin account I created, as well!

Advertisement: