Remove email address from User Profiles

Started by Kestryll, April 16, 2018, 01:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kestryll

I'm getting spam notices from my host when no one is sending emails.
I suspect it is spammers/scammers looking at profiles and sending emails via the forum software.

How would I remove the email address field from user profiles?

Illori

Kestryll

GigaWatt

Why don't you just block guests from viewing the profiles?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

I believe only admins see email address in profile.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 16, 2018, 10:12:24 PM
I believe only admins see email address in profile.

yes,  Normal users can not see other users' email addresses in the default settings....

check
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Security_and_Moderation
Allow viewable email addresses - If this option is enabled instead of users e-mail addresses being hidden to normal members and guests they will be publicly viewable on the forum. Enabling this will put your users at greater risk of being victims of spam as a result of e-mail harvesters visiting your forum. Note: this setting does not override the user setting for hiding their email address from users. Enabling this setting is not recommended.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: