News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Minimum thread title length

Started by brettuk, April 19, 2018, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettuk

Hey all,

Is there any way to change the minimum title length, so, it forces users to become more descriptive in their thread titles?

E.G a thread with a title of 'hello', won't be accepted.

If there is, is there any way to do it based on the board? So, the 'Introduce yourself' board is 15 characters, whereas, all the other boards are 50.

Any ideas?  ;D

Steve

Are you talking on your forums or on 2.1 ones?
DO NOT pm me for support!

brettuk

Ah, my apologies, my forum which is 2.0.15.

I posted in the wrong section.  :(

Kindred

you do realize that doing that will just annoy your users -- and you are going to start getting post titles like
"my post ...................."
and
"this is a post title qaaaaaaaaaaaa"

There is not a mod to do this, currently...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brettuk

Quote from: Kindred on April 21, 2018, 09:19:18 AM
you do realize that doing that will just annoy your users -- and you are going to start getting post titles like
and

Hmm, possibly, but I have a very good reason for it :)

COuld you move this to the mod requests section, please?

Steve

brettuk

I am still looking for a way to do this, is there anyone to help? :)

brettuk

Arantor

I appreciate that you have specific thoughts on what users should do but users will just do the bare minimum. If you tell them they have to type 10 characters, they'll probably do "Hello....." or similar.

Unless you have some magic anti-laziness tool I don't know about...

Steve

Or they just won't post at all.

njtweb

Quote from: brettuk on April 21, 2018, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: Kindred on April 21, 2018, 09:19:18 AM
and

Hmm, possibly, but I have a very good reason for it :)

COuld you move this to the mod requests section, please?

Why not just edit the topic title after they've posted? Forcing a title to be 50 characters is kind of silly anyway, not all titles really need to be that descriptive or require it for that matter.

Steve

Quote from: njtweb on July 30, 2018, 03:15:12 PMWhy not just edit the topic title after they've posted?

Because that wouldn't be practical. One could spend all day editing topic titles on even smaller forums.

Quote from: njtweb on July 30, 2018, 03:15:12 PMForcing a title to be 50 characters is kind of silly anyway, not all titles really need to be that descriptive or require it for that matter.

I think we've pretty much worn out the reasons (and opinions) for not doing this. If the OP still wants to do it then that's his/her business.

Advertisement: