showing/hiding news in header

Started by joehark, April 20, 2018, 03:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joehark

The online help for SMF2.0:News and newsletters says,

"It is possible to configure how and where the news items are displayed on your forum. This configuration has to be done in the theme settings for each theme that you have installed. The following options are available:

Enable random news line in the forum header - When this option is enabled, a news item is shown randomly in the forum header each time you refresh the page or navigate through the forum."

"Theme settings" is a link that take me to: a page titled Theme and Layout Settings and an item in the menu is "Theme Settings," which I select.

That's where I expect to find some checkboxes where this "option is enabled." But there are none. That entire instructions only possible value is, it suggests that such a control does exist and might be found on a snipe hunt (Google that).

So, exactly WHERE does one "Enable random news line in the forum header" by selecting an option?

Well, if you go sequentially to EVERY item in the Admin Panel (the start of your snipe hunt), one by one and read every page in every menu within those items, you eventually come to "Themes and Layouts" (not mentioned under this news line item at all in the the in-house help file or the online manual either) and from the menu select "Theme settings" AND scroll down to "Theme Options and Preferences" (also not mentioned) -

THERE you will find a checkbox, "Enable random news line in the forum header:"

Problem solved. There is no problem. Move along sir. Nothing to see here. Select option? Sir, I said, move along.

Advertisement: