How to create a hyperlink in post text?

Started by joehark, April 21, 2018, 08:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joehark

I found a mod (url_popup) that is supposed to help a user convert text into a hyperlink that opens in a new tab.

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=download;mod=3832;id=228564

I downloaded it.

I unzipped it and then used Filezilla to upload the resulting url_popup folder and the three files in it, to the mods directory on the server where there are other mods installed and working.

Nothing happens. I have no clue and none is offered as to why. If I am supposed to chmod, which I am comfortable doing, I have no information one which files want what setting and the zip does not include a readme with that kind of information.

So I wipe that all out. Fresh start.

I go to the Package Manager with the intention of downloading and installing the same zip file.  The file system has no search function. All I am offered is a few dozen arbitrarily named lists, none of whose titles suggest anything about hyperlinks or url_popups. There are, roughly 700 names and no promise that any of them is what I am looking for.

But so what. I have the URL for this mod, right? I even have a copy of it on my drive. I'll use the PM to install that.

So, I go to Download Package. In the field "Download a package by url" I enter the mod's URL (shown above) and in the second field "Name of the file:" (

Why is it "Name of the file:" not "name of the packagge?"- what has happened to consistency of nomenclature?

Anyway, I offer various possible names, such as "url_popup" (which the source link calls it) and "URL popup" (that the mod description says its name).

All get is an error message saying the file can't be found.

This is frustrating. I am not stupid. I can only wonder if there are assumptions these "instructions" are making.

Please, would someone with patience and communications skills, post a step by step for getting this mod installed?  Thank you in advance.

Kindred

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Package_manager#Upload_a_Package

Download the mod package. Leave it as a zip or other archive on your local drive

Package manager > download package > upload package
Select the file on your local drive
Click upload
Click install
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

joehark

Thank you. That worked. I wonder why the Online Manual does not contain such clear intructions on how to use Packagae Manager?

There is still a problem.

The mod is installed. So i create a new post and create some text.

Click Here.

I want that text to be a link that opens in another tab. I select it as I would in an email. But there is nothing I can see that invites me to make it clickable to a url? Isn't a box supposed to popup?

joehark

OOOPS - let me take that back - partially - again I've encountered,as I am have at almost every step of the way in implementing SE, a terrible set of instructions.

Despite its name the mod does not create a popup - and there are no instructions that tell you, an "Make Hyperlink" icon has been added to the formatting icons.

Thanks again for your help and your forbearance while I vent. 

Kindred

that's because the icon already existed.... it exists in all installations. the mod that you installed just makes a pop-up instead of inserting the BBC

(and the wiki instructions are that simple....     After all, I just wrote the steps based on the wiki. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Leszko

Hi!
I've been looking for this mod "URL Popup 1.0.2"
I can't find it
Can you send me this mod, please?
I use SMF 2.0.15

E-mail is in my profile!

Thank you in advance!

SMF 2.0.15

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Leszko

Quote from: Kindred on September 17, 2018, 12:19:30 PM
did you click the link in the first post?

Of course! What I see there is:
"The modification you requested has not yet been approved for downloading."  :(

That's why I am asking here...
SMF 2.0.15

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Leszko

Well... is there anybody who can help?
I am looking for it through the internet and nothing   :(
and this is approx. 300kb I suppose...
Please....
SMF 2.0.15

Advertisement: