News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Username Special Characters Bug?

Started by Looking, April 23, 2018, 08:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb61

I haven't been able to register the 2nd user on my environments.  One is a mature 2.0.15 (patched from 1.1) and one is a fresh 2.0.15 install.   These environments behave consistently, and consider FredrikÖ and FredrikO duplicates. 

This is consistent with what GigaWatt describes. 

The problem isn't that they aren't treated uniquely...  The problem is you shouldn't have been able to add the 2nd user at all.  This is consistent with what Lex describes.

So...   The real question is how can you even register the 2nd account to begin with?   Are these longstanding user accounts?   Or are you adding new ones today on a 2.0.15 system?   

If the behavior is consistent today (meaning you can add both FredrikÖ and FredrikO at this time) I suspect a DB collation issue somewhere.

You can try running this utility to see if any inconsistencies jump out:
https://github.com/sbulen/sjrbTools/blob/master/SMF_UTF8_Diag.php

It will dump your SMF charset & language settings, as well as all your DB charset & collation settings. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Looking

Shawnb61, FredrikÖ and FredrikO already exist in the membership. Its only when I tried to change the password of one I noticed that it would never work despite saying it updated the password successfully.

I will try that utility later, thanks for the link.

Quote from: LexI believe you may end up in this situation if you originally were running 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 or older version of SMF, and had since upgraded
I believe there was an upgrade at some point, so are you saying the issue would carry over even to the latest version?

Kindred

Basically -- the users were apparently created before SMF implemented the protection that prevents the same/similar character in usernames.

Your issue can not be recreated on any NEW user, and new username change or on any system that was built after the fix went in, because the base condition (having those two usernames) won't ever happen in those cases.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shawnb61

If SMF allowed it for a period, there will be some users out there that are "near dupes".

It sounds like there are issues maintaining those.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Illori

i believe there was a "bug" fix to prevent the similar usernames, after that it should not be possible to have this happen. might need to rename the accounts affected and try again. i am not sure which version fixed this issue.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think think it was introduced in 2.0.7 (1.1.20) but I'm not 100% sure on that. Anyways, there might be a legit "bug" in SMF caused by this. If there are older usernames that fall under the limitations, such as we see in this topic, I would think SMf should allow them to function normally or give a more descriptive error and force the user to change their name.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 26, 2018, 12:30:17 AM
I would think SMf should allow them to function normally or give a more descriptive error and force the user to change their name.

users cannot change their username, only the admin can do that function so we would need to consider this if we are to change this.

Looking

Well the 'cure' so far has only been to change the Username as later fixes does not address members currently in the system.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, for now that is the best way to handle it. Though this also makes it impossible for the member to login using their original username - but if you are changing their password, then logically changing the login wouldn't be an issue either.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Looking

The main problem is when you have hundreds of members with similar characters in their name. Some people may want to login but will just give up rather than contact you for help.

I may have to write a script to change such occurrences and Email the member in question unless someone wants to save me some time. ;)

Kindred

the thing is... writing a script to change the username would also have to take into account and change the password hash
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Looking on May 01, 2018, 05:06:29 AM
The main problem is when you have hundreds of members with similar characters in their name.

Is this really an every day scenario? I mean... I've never encountered it. Not that I've got millions of members, but still.

Quote from: Looking on May 01, 2018, 05:06:29 AM
I may have to write a script to change such occurrences and Email the member in question unless someone wants to save me some time. ;)

You could just add a new entry in News ;). "Some users may experience problems logging in. If you experience such issues, please contact the administrator."
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: