Board with no users in the allowed group, still getting used? - Solved

Started by airmon, April 23, 2018, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airmon

Hi all,
We've got an SMF board ( 2.0.15 ) we've had running for a year or so ( migrated from Snitz early '17 ), but we've got a problem with permissions on a board.

Long story short, our admins are very strict about off topic posts, but in the interest of trying to find a place for users to have some more headroom for discussion, I created a board ( called "Around the Campfire...") that was only accessible by one group ( other than admins ), which I called "OT_users", which is empty for now.

I tested access with two user accounts that are normal members and was unable to see the board, so I assumed it was invisible to everyone. A few days ago, members who I believed to have no access to it started posting in what I thought was an inaccessible board.

I've double checked with my test accounts, they have no access. I've checked the account of one of the members that's posting in the board and the board shows up as restricted ( screenshot attached ).

I'm baffled and don't know what to change or where to look for how they're getting through. Our forum (Trek Tracks ) is for owners of a relatively obscure brand of RV's and most of our owners are older and not terribly tech-savvy, plus the guys who are posting in the board are good guys - I'm really sure they're not hacking their way into our system.

Any suggestions about where to look or what to change?

Thanks!

airmon

I got this one figured out. Turns out,  for some reason, some of my admins have been taking OT topics and moving them here, rather than deleting them as they've always done before. This is despite my asking them to leave this board alone.

Mystery solved. Thanks again, anyone that read this.

Advertisement: