News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Bizzarre user logins etc...

Started by stompbox, April 28, 2018, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stompbox

Not yet. It was changed when I went with the default repair_settings.php -  I will try and change it and see.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Who is your host? Just out of curiosity.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

stompbox

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, I don't know them so that didn't help much for now. Just thought if it perhaps was one we had seen before with a similar issue.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

stompbox

OK, what is the significance of the _ (underscore) after the cookie. Check this out:
From a user and BTW I did rename the cookie.

1) I just started my browser and went to the forum (I didn't even get a chance to log-in)
    Got Banned as guest.
    Cookies:
       SMFDIYCookie_            (content 362)
       Only that cookie was present,  there was *no* PHPSESSID cookie.
2) Exit browser
   Started my browser and went to the forum (not logged in)
   Cookies:
      PHPSESSID
3) Logged-in
     Cookies:
       SMFDIYCookie
       PHPSESSID
    Forum all working.
-------------------

GigaWatt

Clear/purge the previous cookies from your browser's cache after you change the cookie name ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

stompbox

Most of the people having the problems are clearing the cookies. They have browsers that clear everything on exit. I don't get the ban part. Why would the forum ban "guest"? and what is up with the _ underscore on the cookie? Thanks!!!!!!

GigaWatt

I don't think the underscore in the cookie name matters... the cookie name can't contain white spaces so an underscore is used, a dash would also do the job. A dot is also probably not allowed. My forum's cookie name doesn't contain any underscores and everything is working OK.

Are there any bans by IP or IP range on your forum?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

stompbox

But the underscore is added, it's not in the regular cookie name. We have noticed that whenever there's a ban - the cookie has an underscore added to it? Anyone know anything about that?
Yes I have bans by IP but not for guest.

Kindred

well, i would suggest not banning by IP. It's bascially useless anyway - and, if you want to ban an IP or range, using .htaccess DENY is better for performance.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

As Kindred wrote, banning by IP is a bad idea. IPs get reused all the time... it's pointless. Transfer the ban to a ban by username and/or email. I've had situations where no one from a whole company can't log in on a site because they share the same IP ::), which was put on a ban list 5, 7, 10 years ago ::). It's a waste of time, it can only generate more problems.

How did you update the forum to 2.0.15, by patching or by uploading a fresh set of files? Does this behavior also happen when using the default theme (Curve)?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, I've been trying to visit the forum from different browsers, at different times - and all "oddities" I've encounter have been bans.
Please, to begin with go through your ban triggers and make sure you have no IP or hostname bans in effect - For example, any site using Cloudflare could inadvertently ban a majority of their users with just one or two IP addresses....
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

stompbox

No something else is happening. When the ban occurs, the name of the cookie always has an underscore on the end. Simply deleting that cookie will allow access. If you think about it, the IP is not changed. The ban is happening on people that always log out as well.

GigaWatt

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 04, 2018, 07:24:59 PM
How did you update the forum to 2.0.15, by patching or by uploading a fresh set of files? Does this behavior also happen when using the default theme (Curve)?

stompbox

I used the update via admin. It's still banning people but in all cases if you delete the cookie with the underscore they are ok after that. Does anyone know where to look at the cookie code that creates the underscore?

GigaWatt

Is the problem resolved, or are you still having issues. If you are, you could try a clean install of 2.0.15 with no mods or themes other than the default one, see if the problem is solved.

Advertisement: