Thread shows as white screen to logged in users but works fine for guests

Started by crashfirephoenix, May 01, 2018, 06:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashfirephoenix

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for debugging. I am on SMF 2.0.15

One of the threads on my forum (http://dci-forum.com/video-walls/23/seo/2475/msg4478 [nofollow]) shows as white screen to logged in users, but works fine for guests. There are images in this thread (and it started happening once the latest image was posted) but it doesn't make sense to me that it would work for guests and not members. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sir Osis of Liver

The attachment is being displayed by attachments.php, that's not core code.  Are you using a mod or customization?

You'll get better assistance if you restore SMF copyright.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Your forum has the copyright info removed.

You know what that's like? Asking for support from Microsoft for a pirated version of Windows ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 01, 2018, 06:59:45 PM
You know what that's like? Asking for support from Microsoft for a pirated version of Windows ::).

Well, not really, but it is considered a courtesy to the volunteers who develop and support SMF to leave the copyright in place.  It's not that unusual for business sites to remove it, and there's nothing in the install package that indicates support will be withheld if copyright is removed.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Mhm... I see... well, in that case.

I've had this problem before. You're probably having problems with one (maybe both ???) of these two settings in php.ini: upload_max_filesize and/or post_max_size.

A quick fix would be to log in the admin panel, download the last image attached in the thread, delete the attachment from the admin panel, resample it (if it's a jpeg, increase the compression, if it's png, preferably recode it to jpg, or increase png compression to max) and upload it again via editing the user's post.

A permanent workaround would be to increase the values of these two settings (upload_max_filesize and/or post_max_size) in php.ini.

Take your pick.

EDIT: So... the rest of us keeping the SMF copyright on our forums are *&$#^@? It's OK to remove the copyright if you're running a business, but if I'm not making money from my forum (I'm only spending money on it keeping it alive), it's not ???.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Sir Osis of Liver

Didn't say that.  Official(?) policy is that users are free to remove copyright, but if they do so team members may decline to provide support.  It's not the same as running a bootleg of Windows or some other commercial app.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The SMF copyright notice can be removed from the forum, but if you choose to do so, you will not be eligible to receive support from the Simple Machines Team. The SMF license agreement states that you must retain the required license agreement and copyright notice(s) in the file headers. Please read The License for further information.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Drunken Clam

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on May 02, 2018, 02:08:25 AM
....... but if you choose to do so, you will not be eligible to receive support from the Simple Machines Team.

Really? Eligible?

Whilst I do not approve of removing the Copyright, I believe Sir Osis' interpretation is more accurate. i.e. Team members may decline support. Nothing to do with eligibility.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

he has also removed the simpleportal copyright... and the smfpacks seo mod copyright (although that one can be removed if the removal is paid for)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 01, 2018, 06:59:45 PM

I'm still at this standpoint... and I'm sorry that I wrote what I wrote.

Kindred

well, it's not quite that.

The BSD license which SMF 2.0 and higher uses specifically allows for the removal of the displayed copyright (can not change the CODE copyright statements, however)

What we, on the SMF team have decided is that anyone who DOES remove the copyright is essentially stating that they have decided that they don't need to credit/acknowledge the SMF community and therefore have implicitly stated that they can support themselves and have accepted that they won't receive support from said community.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

And which members are covered by the "said community"? Are regular members (like me) part of the "said community"?

Kindred

that's up to you... :P

this SMF team decision only has effect within the SMF team - everyone else can make up their own mind to accept that same decision or to give support, despite the missing copyright/credit
Слaва
Украинi

Sir Osis of Liver

Even so, team members are not spanked if they choose to assist a forum that has removed copyright, and non-team members assisting with support are certainly free to help, it's not a violation of tos.  Most forums that remove copyright are not aware that it's a no-no, and will usually restore it once they're informed of the policy.  1.1.x branch was a bit more militant about it, would display a very prominent, rude message on main index if copyright was missing.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is true, and the team isn't asking for proof of copyright on each and every post either - but when we do encounter cases where copyright has been removed or hidden the team will usually stop providing support until the copyright is visible again.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Kindred

that's because the license of the 1.0 and 1.1 branches REQUIRED the copyright to be present and visible. removing it was actually illegal for those versions.
Слaва
Украинi

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 02, 2018, 12:25:53 PM
1.1.x branch was a bit more militant about it, would display a very prominent, rude message on main index if copyright was missing.

Quote from: Kindred on May 02, 2018, 02:10:29 PM
that's because the license of the 1.0 and 1.1 branches REQUIRED the copyright to be present and visible. removing it was actually illegal for those versions.

Which is what should be done with the 2.x.x versions.

I don't know why you're so lenient about this. It's not enough that it's open source and free, but people also remove the copyright from YOUR software :o ???. It's not right.

landyvlad

To me the real questions is WHY would anyone want to remove the copyright details from their forum?

Their own information can be easily ADDED there, with no need to replace the copyright info.

If their intention in removing the copyright info is to pretend that it's their own creation; then let them 'create' their own support too.  I'm not sympathetic at all.

I'm not offering an opinion whether the SMF team or individuals can or should offer support. It's a free world, but I don't think there should be any expectation of support where the copyright has been removed.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: GigaWatt on May 02, 2018, 06:51:43 PM
I don't know why you're so lenient about this. It's not enough that it's open source and free, but people also remove the copyright from YOUR software :o ???. It's not right.
Because the team decided to change the license a more permissive one, knowing what it meant. We can't really start ******ing about something that we decided to allow.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: